Pentagon sci-fi-prop on near-future "Megacities"

I missed this on Intercept, but Ars just ran a story on it. Eerily dystopian, but IMO surprisingly lucid coming from the US military.

ETA: I was listening to Future Sound of London when I happened upon this, which fit it really well.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with my military targeting the “engines of capitalism” so creepily…

1 Like

There’s a reason we more and more rely on cruise missiles. It’s comforting to think the places we fire them into are scary dens of militant evil, but the rubble looks like pretty normal places, and the families destroyed look pretty normal. Not a lot of Caucasians in all those scary clips of future enemies, either.

The reason these places are dangerous is because we aren’t wanted there. The citizenry turns against us. Our historical films scoff at the British who thought they could impose rule across the Atlantic. This video mentions that these troubling places will be “each defined by its own social code, and rule of law.” Insightful.

Several hundred years of imperialism, proxy wars and interventionist politics have led to the current state of the world. I don’t think it has worked out well for us. Why do we persevere on a course of action that always leads to failure?

“Johnson: I will tell you the more, I just stayed awake last night thinking of this thing, and the more that I think of it I don’t know what in the hell, it looks like to me that we’re getting into another Korea. It just worries the hell out of me. I don’t see what we can ever hope to get out of there with once we’re committed. I believe the Chinese Communists are coming into it. I don’t think that we can fight them 10,000 miles away from home and ever get anywhere in that area. I don’t think it’s worth fighting for and I don’t think we can get out. And it’s just the biggest damn mess that I ever saw.”

May 27, 1964, 11:24 a.m.

Telephone Conversation Between President Johnson and the President’s Special Assistant for National Security Affairs

2 Likes

It’s just M.I.C.

P.S.

Mike. Why, Mike? Why? Mike?

There’s just us here currently.

So, Mike, why? Just us.

1 Like

I can understand why they’d consider the threat and be worried to a degree.

If a large proportion of the populace were disgruntled enough they could easily outnumber the armed forces and police combined, if well organised and armed, a real threat to the establishment.

The thing is to keep the people happy, I know there will always be some that never will be content with their lot and a big issue with our society is the distribution of wealth.

Why is the average annual salary in the UK for a registered nurse around ÂŁ23K and the average weekly pay for a premiership football player about the same?

If you recall Star Trek TNG’s episode where they find some people in cryogenic suspension from a similar society as ours is today with one of the group a formally wealthy and powerful businessman being shocked at the fact that money no longer existed, the acquisition of wealth etc was no longer the driving force, people worked to better themselves and humanity.

I think greed is here for a long time yet and with regards to TNG and the story about the society in their time, governments and people only started to change after a devastating world war etc and had to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 112 days. New replies are no longer allowed.