People discover old safe in a house and it actually has cool stuff in it

Noooooooooooo!!!!

1 Like

It’s a hoax. Geraldo Rivera will do anything to redeem himself.

(If you don’t know what I’m talking about…get off my lawn!)

4 Likes

Smells like viral marketing to me.

1 Like

Some may date to the '50s or '60s, if that makes you feel less old?

(The $5 and $2 bills that can be seen are United States Notes, as opposed to the rest which are Federal Reserve Notes. Printing of US Notes ceased at some point in the late '60s and they weren’t issued after 1971. From what I recall they can’t be any older than the early '50s though, as the red seal was on the left side prior to the redesign that occurred in that decade. The presence of those notes is actually the only thing that tempers my belief that this is just viral marketing, but I’m still not convinced it isn’t.)

The Bingo card is from a 1933 Milton Bradley game set.

2 Likes

Ah the 90’s! The plaid shirts! The straightened hair!

Nostalgia wave.

:smile:

2 Likes

I’ve no doubt you could spend them at face value. The question is are the bills old enough that they have greater value as a collectable.

I’ve read enough Reddit to know that this is almost definitely bullshit.

2 Likes

I wonder if someone who knows a lot about fonts could look at that Arizona card. If you could positively identify the font and it was post-1960, you’d know it was likely a fake.

I also wonder about the census data on the card. The Arizona population is taken from the 1960 census - I don’t know how long they took to compile and release the data, but it seems like it’d take a while before you had flash cards in general circulation with the latest data on it. I don’t know how quickly liquor would go from being taxed to sold back then - if the bourbon was taxed in 1960, when would it likely be sold?

I’d be more convinced if the flash card had the data from the 1950 census on it. It doesn’t seem to me like you’d use a flashcard as a bookmark until you’d had it for a while and didn’t really care about it any more.

I am enjoying the plethora of plaid shirts and shorts and doc martens on campus these days.
Also the hats. But for some reason all the hats are of the “boy george” variety, which is so not 90s… but alas, kids these days!

2 Likes

Bourbon’s only a fad? Oh man, I’ll let my granddad know he should stop buying the Old Crow he’s enjoyed since he was in his 20s. Just a fad we young’uns came up with, gramps, you hipster wannabe.

1 Like

Probably not, especially given that many of the notes appear to be well worn and those that are visible look to have been issued at a date no earlier than 1963.*

* I’m basing this off of the lack of the “Will Pay to the Bearer on Demand” text below Franklin’s portrait, as well the fact that the obligation text appears to be only 2 lines on all the Federal Reserve Notes. Both of those changes occurred in 1963. Unfortunately further changes to the obverse between 1963 and the 1996 redesign were so minute that they’re unlikely to be visible in the resolution available.

It’s like the Reddit Safe fiasco, except there was an actual payoff other than cobwebs.

He’s no wannabe, he’s a real hipster - he was drinking bourbon before it was cool

seriously, though, every fad runs over people who were into X before it became a fad. From mutton chops to swing music to bourbon. This frequently pisses off the pre-fad people

2 Likes

Or amuses.

1 Like

Since they appear to be quite “crisp”, they might be worth a bit more in the collector market, however, I seem to recall that bills were rarely worth much more…

after reading the source yeah this kinda screams marketing or ARG kind of thing.

I am 100% sure this is marketing by the bourbon company. I am not 100% sure BoingBoing’s in on it. 1960 bottle from a company that ceased production in 1958? http://www.jamesepepper.com/history.php

See the bourbon company’s company statement to AZ Republic at the bottom here. http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/best-reads/2015/08/28/phoenix-couple-50-thousand-bourbon-safe-james-e-pepper/71286034/

It seems like it’ll turn into a viral scavenger hunt because of the other “clues.” Or maybe a bingo game.

1 Like

If it’s actually viral marketing then they’re doing a pretty awful job.

From that very page, the “1958” part of the timeline:

I’m not sure how tax stamps work… At what point does the tax stamp go on there? It’s a 1960 tax stamp, but aged 6 years, does that mean it was produced in 1954?

But yeah, reading the company’s comment in that linked article (after I went through the stupid quiz to read it), sounds pretty clear that this is a viral marketing stunt. Relaunching the brand, perhaps?

2 Likes