People in COVID-19 lockdowns listen to nostalgic music on Spotify

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/20/people-in-covid-19-lockdowns-listen-to-nostalgic-music-on-spotify.html

4 Likes

i know that i have been listening to A TON of SOMA-FM’s “Left Coast 70s” channel… it’s helped me get through 2020 like few other things besides whiskey.

5 Likes

I too have been listening to the oldies, by oldies I mean John Coltrane and Charles Mingus.
Hard to call it nostalgia tho, haven’t been conceived back then. :smiley:
As a side note, after a recent update YouTube Music has been providing me with excellent personalized mix introducing me to quite a few artists I didn’t know.

7 Likes

Oasis is considered an oldie? Fuck me. I’m old.

13 Likes

Music is a big thing when you’re a teenager, and then generally tapers off. You get away from reading Rolling Stone and listening to music while doing everything else.

Many stick with what tyey know, , the notion of top-40 is kind of marketing, it’s important when you’re young, then you mostly stop buying music simply because it’s new.

I think the most recent new acts that I have on CD is the Indigo Girls and 10,000 Maniacs.

Though when I see used CDs cheap from the 70s when I did listen to music on they radio, I buy them, kind of nostalgia. I never saw the point of buying most of that on record because it had been overplayed on the radio.

But in August I watched Woodstock, and actually properly watched the extras for the first time since I bought the fancy set in 2009. 35 minutes of the Grateful Dead doing “Turn on your Love Light”.

I slept till 11am the next day, the latest I’ve slept in years. It probably helped that I was finally coming off the steroids.

It gets you going, and wears you out, instead of a flat state between awake and sleep. I know I’m mostly waiting for “normal”, it’s getting close to two years now for me. Things that can’t be done at home, so other things wait.

Music that you know probably gets you going more than random music.

5 Likes

Ha, I’ve just been going through a spell of thinking that alrhough I didnt realize it back in the (my) day, and as multiple re-listens have lately been proving, Heart’s “Barracuda” is pretty much a perfect rock song.

9 Likes

Hey everybody, did the news get around about a guy named Butcher Pete?
Oh, Pete just flew into this town and he’s choppin’ up all the women’s meat…

1 Like

I mean, I was playing Mr. Blue Sky and Don’t Stop Me Now among others in recent mornings when I checked the news after waking up and was reminded that Trump still lost the election.

4 Likes

I’m apparently doing it wrong:

7 Likes

Grunge is considered “classic rock” at this point. Pretty soon Limp Bizkit will be playing on the oldies stations.

6 Likes

Freaky. I just fired-up “Overkill” by Men At Work on Spotify and decided to see what’s happening on BoingBoing while listening to the song. Then I saw this story!

6 Likes

18 Likes

IKR? I keep hearing Ramones in Kroger and it’s just not right, man!

7 Likes

I’m reading the maintenance manual for a C’thonic Monorail right now.

@milliefink Some years ago, I was wandering around Morrison’s in Five Ways, Birmingham, when Elbow, “One Day Like This” came on the tannoy; it is, I believe, the ultimate track for the weekly food shop. It made surfing the aisle feel like an epic pursuit. Although, maybe Queens of the Stoneage’s, “Feel Good Hit Of The Summer” would work better for the Pharmacy Department.

4 Likes

I used the Pandemic to discover “Pet Sounds” by the Beach Boys, “Graceland” by Paul Simon, and the “Koyaanisqatsi” soundtrack by Philip Glass. You tell me what that means.

6 Likes

Yeah, servicing the Dark Phlogiston capacitors is a total pain. You can only do it (relatively safely) under a gibbous moon by disconnecting the greenstone arc-bridges while wearing mica-lensed goggles and the gutta-percha cult mask.

It’s in the footnotes, page 74.

5 Likes

It means you have good taste.

3 Likes

Trippy movie!

I think either shrooms or THC would help.

4 Likes

I love how Sweden is only nostalgic at midsummer eve.

(I was gonna post a Swedish summer hit here, but I refuse.)

1 Like