People who are annoyed by unorthodox platters

I hope they’ve got a good supply of bandaids.

4 Likes

Apparently there’s a fine line between playful and pretentious…

2 Likes

Hilarious. :slight_smile:

We switched to mason jars for all our cold drinks a few years ago (found some nice blue-tinted ones). Our reasoning is practical, though - we get them from various sources throughout the year and want to reuse them, and, perhaps more importantly, we bought a kit that gives them a lid with a straw hole, which allows us to both take them outside on a hot day without fear of spilling, and keeps the cats from trying to drink our drinks :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Bread and cookies freeze well. Other things maybe not so much.

3 Likes

Yes! I mean that bread in the flower pot disturbs me. I hope the pot is glazed. If not, bacteria would just love to grow in the pores. Ecch.

Even some plain dishes are problematic – like those square ones that look like ashtrays. My knife won’t even sit on the edge; it either slides into the food, or plops onto the table.

2 Likes

I think those nonplate plates are stupid, but I don’t think I’d say they annoy me.

1 Like

Hmmm… I guess I am not in the Northeast, or have plebian tastes.

Judicious use of information* gets me a solid hunk of Ahi Tuni, lightly seared, about a 3rd of a pound in weight, on a fresh baked roll with fancy wasabi-derived sauce for $6. Comes with hand cut fries. Then $3 for a draft pint of craft beer** with the meal and another $7.50 pays full price for a real Irish coffee (brown sugar and Jameson’s, heavy cream) for dessert.

Back on topic, there’s places near here where you used to be able to order muskrat served on the same wooden plank it was cooked on. I don’t know if that is still a thing, but it was in my childhood. I’ve never felt an urge to try it!

* Half price burger night applies to the tuna burger.
** ask for the “kick the keg special”, at half price

2 Likes

For me it’s not necessarily about “better” but a dish that I would consider too complex or fiddly to easily make myself. Which is what you just said while I was typing this.

That, my friend, is a good way to get Kuru.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/09/06/482952588/when-people-ate-people-a-strange-disease-emerged

4 Likes

and mason jars drop and recover very well. (if ya have kids, or clumsy like me)

4 Likes

(ETA: Doh! Meant to reply to @quorihunter and his note about southern cooking. Given your disavowal of spendy restaurants, the below is sure to piss you off, which was not my intention…)

Worth it. You gotta order the fried chicken early.

http://gbrowns.com/

3 Likes

Heh. I don’t mind it, as long as it will totally blow my mind.

It’s the paying unreasonable prices for meh food in a meh atmosphere that I won’t put up with.

6 Likes

I don’t understand it either. This weekend I made a 14 lb brisket (received frozen as a gift). I’m the only one in the house that eats it. I divided it up, straight into the freezer with most of it so I can have it a couple of lunches a week at a time. I’ll also do 5 days in a row but with different sides.

Creative leftover reuse is also important. Like, back in the day, I imagine no one set out to make potato croquettes, but Monday you made potatoes, Tuesday you mashed the leftovers, and Wednesday you breaded and fried the leftover mashed. Or turning remains of a roast into soup or a salad topper.

6 Likes

Georgia Brown’s will definitely blow your mind, it’s that good

I like to make something big on a Sunday, that gracefully becomes various other means. Roast to sandwiches to stir fry to soup, so the bulk of the cooking happens on a day off, but the whole week isn’t a slog to eat 10 pounds of the same thing every day.

4 Likes

I’ve had fried chicken so good I was happy to pay a premium for it, as well as dishes like meatloaf and liver & onions that knocked my socks off.

But the scourge of hipster restaurants that put Aunt Jemima batter in a waffle maker, plop a dry piece of fried chicken on top, drop a little thimbleful of maple syrup on the side and want to charge me $29 bucks is an evil plague.

9 Likes

totally has become a thing for our household. No more buying “sets of glasses” from now on…we collect whatever can and should be drunk from.

1 Like

I agree with this mind set. Mainly because for me if the food is good…price doesn’t matter (within reason). Its the one thing I truly feel you should be willing to throw money after…good food.

3 Likes

There are so many of these. They’re everywhere.

It kinda goes hand in hand with concepts like “gourmet sliders” (a contradiction in terms), and I guess gourmet Mexican street food is the new big thing?

I have no idea what gourmet sliders are, but they are neither gourmet nor sliders IME. These hipster tacos are in a similar vein, except actual street food can be better than its hipster imitation

2 Likes

A full size portion (insert food du jour) cut into quarters and priced twice as much.

2 Likes