People who are annoyed by unorthodox platters

Mexican street corn has been popping up on a ton of menus lately — paying $9 for a little “sharable dish” of corn, mayo, lime juice, and cheese (usually with a hipster addition of something like truffle oil) is definitely the new big thing. And lots and lots of expensive tacos. There’s upscale-faux-Mexican places all over the downtown Boston area with $20 taco plates and $17 guacamole, aimed at businessmen and conventioneers with per diem accounts.

2 Likes

Humble-bragging about not eating at restaurants and saying your own cooking is just as good is the foodie version of “I don’t even own a TV”.

2 Likes

Truffle oil is an abomination. Whenever I see that on a menu I’m immediately suspect.

3 Likes

To be fair, it’s tough to fuck up Mexican corn, and it’s so damn good I don’t look at intentions when eating it. 9 bucks is too much for a food cart, agreed.

Cotijo FTW.

1 Like

Sturgeon’s Law applies to restaurants too, even supposedly good ones.

2 Likes

I know, right? It drives me nuts ordering it when I know I can whip it up in five minutes at home, but sitting in a restaurant with friends, it’s hard to resist. I feel like chefs are always looking for ideal small-plate foods like this that are (a) delicious (b) dirt cheap to make (c) easily customizable with a sprinkle of something unique. Mexican street corn with a dash of… ghost pepper? Furikake? Kewpie mayo? Why not? $9!

4 Likes

It’s a goldmine.

Baked beans with crocs a la mode.

2 Likes

Still doesn’t change any of the smugness.

Isn’t (wasn’t) there a restaurant in Chicago that specialized in homemade sausages and served everything on butcher paper? The paper sat right on the butcher block ‘style’ tables, and the utensils were chained to the blocks!

1 Like

At least the leftovers are easy to take home…

3 Likes

There’s a bunch of places all over Baltimore that specialize in crab, and will just dump a bunch of Old Bay crusted crabs on a table covered with butcher paper and give you a wooden mallet and a bib and let you go to town on them. But they’ve been doing it that way for a loooong time.

11 Likes

I love ghost pepper… to the point of overusing it.

Not bad, but the concept of simply sprinkling furikake or something else Asian on a food product and calling that food product “Asian fusion” is beyond boring by now. It really depends on what else they do with the food.

You’re putting me on. I’ve never heard of that before.

I have seen quite a number of different spiced mayonnaises and aioli though, most of which are only slightly interesting at best.

It’s true what they say about white people and mayonnaise. It’s just that mayonnaise goes beyond the Best Foods stuff that we ladle into our white bread and summer sausage sandwiches :wink:

1 Like

Oh yes that is the best. I grew up in Maryland but now live in California, and there is nothing like a blue crab, Dungeness be damned!

3 Likes

No platter required.

3 Likes

And guess what? I don’t own a TV either!

6 Likes

What? You’re here more than I am! Search results for 'kewpie mayo' - Boing Boing BBS

4 Likes

Japanese style mayo, more eggy and sweet than the American stuff.

5 Likes

Yet I’ve avoided every single one of those threads.

Apparently with rice vinegar.

2 Likes

terracotta has been used for cooking for ages.
not just for breads, for meats and veggies too, have you tried a romertopf?

I’ve had some amazing breads cooked in terracotta.

the only thing that disturbs me about cooking in rando hardware store flower pots, is the terracotta was likely never tested for heavy metals like a food grade dish would be.

I know this. I know it isn’t even usually from truffles. Even so, a portabella cooked in white truffle oil is about one of the best things ever, especially when stuffed with soft goat cheese.
can’t help liking it, soooo good.

6 Likes

4 Likes