People who are annoyed by unorthodox platters

My husband is the same. Truffle oil = highly suspicious. Usually the oil has never even seen a truffle. Just a perfumer’s creation to smell like truffle with no attention to taste.

2 Likes

Have you read “Dream Park” by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes? That’s the only way I found out about Kuru.

Surely they would serve anything so plebian as a “garnish”, a “ganache” or a “roux” possibly?

Aww, c’mon, now you’re just nit-picking!

I keed! I keed!

:smile:

I’ll drink a $30 rioja that way, just because.

2 Likes

The rock thing seems like bullshit, but at that level of waiting you are a pro and just deal with it. I’m assuming these are pretty high-end restaurants so the waitstaff is likely making $50-$100K a year. Could be even more these days. A good friend of mine was making about $100K a year at a very high-end restaurant 20 years ago so my info is dated.

Mostly I know this because his wife got pregnant and he took an office job that had insurance but a large pay cut. He used to bitch about it constantly.

2 Likes

Je vais faire comme si je n’avais rien lu…

You can take a freshly killed chicken, gut it and behead it, and (without plucking it) smear it with red clay to form a clay chicken. Decorate appropriately. Then slowly (so it won’t crack) heat it all day by an open fire, raking more and more coals out onto it, until the clay fires into terra cotta. Then smash the clay bird open and eat a delicious, ■■■■■ and tender chicken dinner.

Well, it did work that one time anyway. I have no idea if we just got lucky or if it really is as easy as it seemed… having a couple of professional-grade potters and a few smiths handy probably made firing the clay a bit less failure-prone.

Shattered clay chicken pieces embedded with feathers is an unorthodox platter. I feel I am (for once) firmly on topic here.

12 Likes

I enjoy cooking quite a bit, now getting someone to clean up for me is another story.

My grand idea is two dishwashers and no cabinets containing dishware. No taking clean plates out of one container and putting them in another container. I aint got time for that.

1 Like

Il faut être toujours ivre.
Tout est là:
c’est l’unique question.
Pour ne pas sentir
l’horrible fardeau du Temps
qui brise vos épaules
et vous penche vers la terre,
il faut vous enivrer sans trêve.

1 Like

This reminds me of a hotel breakfast I had once.

Breakfast didn’t come with the room. No big deal. Then it turned out to be 20-some bucks for eggs, hashbrowns, and toast. Could be worse. And it wasn’t quite as good as breakfast at Perkins. Oh, well. But then the damn thing was served on a triangular plate. Triangular. With oversized, super heavy-handled silverware. The dining room was filled with a deafening clatter of people trying to perch, lean, or otherwise rest their utensils somewhere and repeatedly dropping them on the table and the floor.

4 Likes

Definitely. Oregon now, raised in Maryland/DC. Once a summer I have a bushel shipped overnight.

One of my super powers is my Flash-like speed at picking crab

(not pictured: me)

3 Likes

Wow! I’m so glad I live in Tokyo. I rarely cook during the week, but it’s easy to get excellent food at a good price here.

You’re making an assumption that I CANT get excellent food at a lower price. There are plenty of good spots for awesome food at cheap prices.

Additionally there are weekly specials like one place that serves a 20oz smoked prime rib with potato and veg plus a 20oz craft beer for $20. Which is an amazing deal.

3 Likes

True fact: at all times I have 4 or 5 Trader Joe’s palak paneers in the freezer so as to instantly satisfy the bottomless pit that is my 16 year old son. It’s not the best Indian food out there (to say the least), but I figure it’s better that than him eating vast quantities of junk food when he’s GOING TO DIE if he doesn’t get something to eat RIGHT NOW!

4 Likes

Anna’s Taqueria, FTW!

1 Like

Butcher paper?!

The Annapolis Evening Capitol was the standard for any classy joint when I was a kid. Reading Alley Oop while busting open a claw was as good as it got.

3 Likes

Generally, my go-to for dinner is standing over the sink in the kitchen.

Palak paneer is the one Indian dish I crave frequently enough that I’ve learned to make it from Youtube videos, trial, and error. I make a big batch on a weekend and freeze it in individual serving sizes. Last weekend I went to my first Indian cooking class and discovered a neighborhood shop that sells both canned and frozen paneer!!! Didn’t know that was a thing. I’d been making that from scratch, which is tedious (but delicious). Now I’ll be able to make palak paneer even more often! I’m so excited!

2 Likes

This is me. I just want a plate.

1 Like