People who paid a fortune for Bored Apes are now suing Sotheby’s, Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber, and others as NFT prices plummet

Which is why we lump those under “entertainment budget” around our house, same as seeing a movie, or going to the arcade, or even games for whatever console we have at the moment.[1] The value you pay for has some return – amusement, an experience, or something.

That’s what baffled me most about NFTs: all the ephemeral nature of entertainment items, with zero return or impact. Hey, you bought a JPG of a cartoon monkey.[2] Now what?

Exclusivity isn’t entertainment, in my obviously narrow world/budget. Even owning a masterpiece, one could theoretically have it installed above the head on one’s megayacht and admire the brushwork during one’s morning business. But a digital asset with no function other than be a digital asset?

[1] hence the collection of PS1, Wii, and multiple evolutions of GameBoy carts piled up here (OG through DS)

[2] yes, I know, a blockchained token of a URL of a remote hosted image, which is even MORE absurd.

7 Likes

A Traditional Collector, eh?

6 Likes

In the case of Bored Apes, specifically, ownership of the NFT gets you more than just the right to say you own the JPEG.

There are the exclusive commercial licensing rights: See the Seth Green discussion above, but companies as big as Adidas have also used Bored Apes in advertisements for their own products. I find the idea of companies using Bored Apes in their ads interesting, as it’s such a weird twist on traditional celebrity sponsorships. Instead of an expensive, heavily negotiated deal with some celebrity, you just buy the NFT and can do whatever you want. Of course the risk is that somebody else uses their own Bored Ape (which will look just like yours) in a way that is antithetical to your brand (imagine somebody making videos similar to the Adidas ads with similar Bored Apes dressed like Nazis or something). So it’s still dumb. But it’s something.

Ownership of a Bored Ape NFT also effectively confers membership in a club that occasionally hosts members-only events. I’m not sure why anyone would want to go to those events, but apparently people actually do.

All of which is to say that specifically in the case of Bored Apes (not so much most other NFT projects), there is SOMETHING of value.

1 Like

Agree to disagree.

Hiring a celebrity to endorse a product is a time-tested way to increase sales by trading off said celebrity’s reputation. If you think slapping a picture of a badly drawn ape on your product will help sales you could just hire someone to draw one for you and be done with it instead of bothering with all this NFT nonsense.

8 Likes

“But but but… We’ve sunk so must cost in this fallacious art! How else can we recoup value?”

/s

3 Likes

In addition to that, I’d be very surprised if he hadn’t bought at least one more traditional stupidly expensive Art.

Which would be enough to describe him as a traditional collector.

2 Likes

So, people with more money than brains fell for a scam that was obvious to almost everyone else, and now they want to pay lawyers to chase even wealthier people than themselves for damages? Apparently they still have too much money. And if brains were TNT, they wouldn’t have enough to blow their noses.

6 Likes

Play stupid games - win stupid prizes.

2 Likes

Seems these NFT are still valued more than 43,000x their worth.

5 Likes
12 Likes

I fully expect another investment genius to see the current $43K value as a super bargain and snatch one up.

4 Likes

I have to take exception to calling Thomas a “token”. He earned his place on the Supreme Court with his pliability, lack of a moral compass, corruptibility, and flawed legal reasoning.

Any cover that he provides for shockingly racist decisions is just a bonus

5 Likes

… something something Thurgood Marshall :thinking:

Now that’s a celebrity endorsement I trust

7 Likes

As for me, I didn’t hold onto Bart Simpson’s soul, I traded it for some ALF pogs. Remember ALF?!

6 Likes

This. Is. Hilarious.

3 Likes

Play stupid games - win the URL of an image of stupid prizes.

15 Likes

Hirst? Chapman brothers? Koons? It would be irresponsible not to speculate.

2 Likes

“ You can’t cheat an honest man “. - Larson E. Whipsnade

2 Likes

I’m old enough to remember the controversy around Thomas at the time he was appointed, due to perception that he was sexist.

3 Likes