People who wear these tee shirts to Disneyland are the worst

Proud Disney Adult.

3 Likes

My first thought was that the wearer supported Daft Punk. If the stripe were red I would say Cylons.

1 Like

They think the cops are on their side. That may not be peaceful, but it is still fantasy.

2 Likes

I remember when I was there there were people who had to have tattoos taped or shirts turned inside out.

Unfortunately, the thin blue line is a dog whistle with a normie facing “pro cop”. And if the family going there has a cop in it, then having them remove or cover it up would be a stink they don’t want to deal with. :confused:

2 Likes

the no quarter part is the black and white coloring. “you’re either with us, or you’re against us.”

the blue line is the idea that cops are all that stand between good (white) people and criminal anarchy ( black people. )

both are amazingly unpatriotic, are desecrations of the flag, and just generally bad taste. taken together, it’s basically the same as wearing a confederate flag.

i’m pretty sure the people wearing them are those that take pride in the description of “deplorable.” white, lower middle income, likely rural, definitely bullies. but they aren’t racist because, wouldn’t you know it, they have a black friend ( who’s last name they suddenly can’t remember. )

9 Likes

I think “No Quarter” means “I will fight to the death if you threaten my mental picture of white superiority” and the Thin Blue Line of it says “And I like cops who beat up Black people.”

Scares me that so many people wander around wearing this shit. A friend tells me they are just stupid, don’t bother to research and think it means “I support cops” without considering what that means either.

Why do the Police need your support? What made people feel the need to make that statement? Do we need to protect abusive cops from being held accountable?

and WHY AT DISNEYLAND? Do these people even need to make a once-in-a-lifetime family vacation for some people into a “remember I’m here to threaten you” experience? Assholes.

Perhaps it is a casual racism shirt for wearing out casually?

8 Likes

You don’t wanna Google Thin Blue Line tuxedoes

1 Like

this author makes the argument that it’s a part of some people’s vision of disney:

The contemporary American right is motivated by a fantasy of America, an idea of an idyllic past that never really existed. The maxim “Make America Great Again” encapsulates this. When was America great, and why?

Those who pine for an imaginary 1950s pine for something they saw on television, the stable, peaceable version of the midcentury that was depicted on film and in sitcoms from that eras… In the same vein, Disneyland is a fantasy version of America.

but yeah. your sentiment is also my theory.

6 Likes

Yup. They think Main Street USA is “real” (in the sense that what they see at Disneyland is a historically accurate reconstruction) and that every town should have one.
They also think that every town used to have one, but [insert perceived enemy, and don’t skimp on the racism] destroyed them somehow.
They yearn for something that never existed but that they feel they are entitled to have. For free and without any obligation because it’s their birthright somehow. And somebody stole it from them. Which makes them very angry.

(Very much like Bexiteers who yearn for a Britain England that has never existed anywhere outside an Enid Blyton novel.)

The saddest thing about all this is that they could have something like Main Street USA, arguably something much, much better, even - if only they were willing to let everybody else, the “others”, move in next door and accept them in whatever variation they come.

8 Likes

What’s interesting about this is that it is something related. Lots of city’s had a main street relatively similar to Disney’s main street, but they bulldozed it to create deeply racist suburbs. Because the car dominance was so intertwined with that vision they had to bulldoze any livable space to provide free car parking.

3 Likes

Originally, you almost never saw this stuff on anything unless people were cops or have cops as family members.

It was after the BLM protests that people outside of that circle began to embrace/use that symbolism. It is racism based, though for some people it is probably subconscious and they are just supporting cops who they see as “the good guys”. They still make excuses about “bad apples” and the like.

Why wear it at Disney world? Some people know it will “piss off the libs”. Some people have no identity other than their political one, and need to wear it 24/7. Basic assholes.

The ones that really kill me are those who have Thin Blue Line AND Gadsden/Don’t Tread On Me symbols. Like, my dude, those two concepts are not compatible with one another? Who the hell do you think is doing the most treading??

8 Likes

Probably a good time to point out that Disneyland is also nestled in Orange County which has a long history of white supremacy.

When people try to point out that California is a “liberal hellscape” I feel compelled to inform them that California is as conservative as they come outside of the cities.

1 Like

Orange County certainly still has it’s share of conservative nutjobs (and worse) but it’s been trending more liberal in recent years. In 2020 Biden beat Trump in the county by 53% to 44%.

People visit Disneyland from all over, and you can’t assume that the folks wearing this kinda stuff are mostly locals.

There is a ton of unlicensed Disney merch on Etsy, including the ones in the original post. All of these definitely violate Etsy’s TOS, but The Mouse doesn’t seem to be going after them and Etsy obviously doesn’t give a shit as long as they’re pulling in money.

I’m guessing this tee I just found on Etsy would get stopped at the gate though, if only for language:

2 Likes

Enforcing copyright from smaller, independent sellers has always been a challenge, but soon a lot of bootleg Mickey Mouse merchandise will be totally legal. In just 4 months the 1928 version of Mickey will fall into public domain. Heck, Oswald the Lucky rabbit is already in public domain, which is why my family made ourselves some shirts featuring that character for our last big trip to the park:

6 Likes

Ha, our resident munchkin was puzzled upon opening her Lego minifig blind bag this weekend. I think she was confused as to why Mickey had such long ears.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.