Peter Dinklage says Disney’s remaking of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is "fucking backwards"

Not really, as dwarfism was an aspect of the character arc, but it was incredibly well-handled, I’d argue. And he was fantastic in it.

I was specifically talking about him being cast in roles where the it was just a character and not a character with dwarfism. I had a list in my comment upthread.

7 Likes

I’m still waiting for the shitstorm to ensue when they alter the Latina actress’ skin tone to make her look more “Snow White”.

1 Like

Peter Dinklage played the King of the people of Nidavellir - Etri - in Avengers Endgame. In a non traditional fashion.

It’s not impossibly difficult.

7 Likes

Jinx!

5 Likes

Thanks for the Station Agent correction. I wasn’t aware of that. Still, lots of great acting in the movie. The tangible humanity Dinklage brought to the character was so utterly transcendent.

2 Likes

THERE’S NO “NEED” TO REMAKE IT, AT ALL.

Tell other stories, FFS.

17 Likes

+1 on the recommendation for that movie.

9 Likes

It really is quite good. One of the best movies I’ve seen him in, honestly.

9 Likes

“Human.” Basically an extension of the Terry Pratchett Discworld quote, " Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because—what with trollies and dwarfs and so on—speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green."

Alternatively, “Hobbits.” AKA diminuitive humans whose origins are lost to history, but who were forced to live in an unfashionable corner of human lands and then forgotten by the powers of the world for millennia.

1 Like

That would still place little people as a separate group and culture from baseline humanity.

All the fantasy narratives* I’ve seen either present “Dwarves” as an entirely separate race of short, industrious humanoids (i.e. Gimli from Lord of the Rings) or presents people with dwarfism as they exist in our world, often stigmatized by their fellow humans (i.e. Tyrion from Game of Thrones).

But I haven’t yet seen a narrative where a character like Gimli could meet a character like Tyrion, or what the people of that world would make of a character like Tyrion.

*Excepting Dinklage’s turn in Infinity War

8 Likes

The fact that it’s “and the seven dwarfs” in the title kind of makes the dwarfism a spectacle or sideshow. Dwarfism isn’t even part of the plot.

It’s not “Snow White and the Magical Forest” or “Snow White and the Friendly Miners in the Woods.” The dwarfs are intended to be a novelty. They sing, dance, entertain. One of them apparently has some kind of intellectual disability and he’s named by it.

It’s mind blowing they want to remake this.

11 Likes

They’ll get it right THIS time, surely… /s

To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community. We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period.

Tyrion Lannister No GIF by Game of Thrones

:arrow_up:                                                             :arrow_up:
Peter Dinklage                                        Weird Disney Nerds

15 Likes

Even setting aside the Dwarfs, “Hey, a glass coffin containing the pretty lady I flirted with one time! Maybe I should crack that baby open and make out with the corpse…” is a kind of gross and disturbing plot point.

17 Likes

Or the other inherent example of internalized misogyny; a queen so insecure that she orders the brutal murder of her stepdaughter, just because she’s “prettier.”

This is a shit story all the way around; trying to squeeze even more consumer dollars from it is just gross.

21 Likes

Folklore-wise, people with achondroplasia were part of a whole separate thing, belief-wise. Magical small humanoids and magical big humanoids (i.e. giants) along with “wild men” seem to be fairly universal mythic archetypes that were seen as distinct (and not based on) people who were particularly small/tall/hairy. The confusion caused by the use of “dwarf” in English to refer to both the magical people and short people is unusual (and the dual usage was not even consistent, historically, in English, as using “dwarf” to describe magical little people was Germanic, rather than a name used in native folklores).

Space Pants: The Motion Picture!

13 Likes

How about we recognize that such representations can be hurtful and listen to the people they hurt, whatever the etymology? I don’t understand why that’s difficult to wrap our heads around. None of that excuses piss-poor depictions of people with achondroplasia or other forms of dwarfism, does it? :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

That’s why Ursula is the best villain. That woman had confidence. Unlike some queens, she liked what she saw in her mirror and never asked for a second opinion.

body-language

15 Likes

They’ve turned so many SNL characters into movies- why not?

A rockumentary.

8 Likes

Bill Hader Yes GIF

10 Likes