Petition: Facebook betrayed us by secretly lobbying for cyber-surveillance bill

[Read the post]

2 Likes

3 Likes

Anybody who has been paying attention to Facebook in the news since it’s inception should not be surprised by this.

Personally, I would advocate for everyone to delete their account, or at least change their name to a fake name.

19 Likes

IT would seem to be the logical thing for Facebook to do though.

Not so good for narcissists though.

1 Like

“Blame me not,” said the scorpion, in a supplicatory tone, “it is not my fault; it is that of my nature.”

14 Likes

I deleted my account, and blocked them on every device I could find a way to do so. Yet every time I think about it, I still don’t think that’s enough.

11 Likes

I deleted mine with my real name, and created one with a fake name, since sometimes I have no other way to participate in stuff/with certain people socially.

It’s still not enough. First-hand I’ve seen stuff like, they will make friend suggestions based on people accessing facebook from your IP Address. Crazy scenarios like:

Person A searches for Person B, maybe views their profile (doesn’t even have to friend them). Person B has sometimes accessed FB from your IP address, and you get a friend recommendation for Person A.

My fake persona was born in Botswana, went to college in Russia, and lives in a town now that matches my first name. I get no recommendations for people in any of those regions/schools, I get friend recommendations of everyone my old account used to be friends with, and their connections.

They know.

10 Likes

I am shocked, shocked in learning that Facebook would be complicit with the U.S. governmental intelligence agencies! :wink:

3 Likes

That does make sense – I know people who maintain corporate pages and also have their own personal account, and they report that even though they are diligent about only accessing their personal account on their personal devices, the corporate account gets friend recommendations based on their personal account. Facebook seems to do a lot through IP addresses and web site visits (they track affiliated sites, again with IP). I’m not sure how much they actually do with the personal data.

6 Likes

It’s not really a betrayal when it’s exactly the behaviour we expect from them.

6 Likes

Facebook has this huge database of pictures and names, like “Uncle Joe, Christmas last year”, and do on. Organizations who run public CCTV systems must be very interested in that sort of data, so they can match faces back to names.

2 Likes

I’m shocked! (etc.) I think it’s becoming clear at this point that Facebook’s internal slogan is: “Be Evil.”

2 Likes

Since information has value, would this constitute a new tax? Maybe we can get the Republicans to block it.

4 Likes

I think because we give this data away, it becomes part of a creative commons…?

I know a young lady who posted pictures of her and her friends playing topless beer pong. …and a potential employer refused her a job because of it.

She then said she couldn’t remove the images because others had reposted the pictures and refused her request to take them off.

Ah, kids…

3 Likes

If I ran facebook I would totally start an anti-facebook social group so that I could collect signatures against all my evil acts and thereby datamine / analyse my opposition, maybe sell them to somebody.

I only really have one regret. Just one thing I really wish I could change in my past. If only I hadn’t spent all that time in 4-H introducing people to computers.

I never would have guessed that teaching Andrew Bosworth his first programming lessons (yes, I’m the “friend in 4-H” mentioned in that article) would lead him to Facebook.

The idea that I had a hand - however small and indirect - in the blight on society we call Facebook is the one thing I wish I could go back and fix.

7 Likes

“Facebook betrayed us”. Of course they did - they always do b/c they serve profit rather than users, and in their world, corporate profit and users are in opposition (value must be extracted from users to benefit corporate profit). Once we understand this, nothing that Facebook does will surprise us.

1 Like

It’s only a betrayal if you weren’t paying attention. They’ve lobbied for draconian internet measures and fast-lane internet only for themselves in a number of other countries. It’s usually in the guise of Facebook’s “altruistic” corporate philanthropy to bring Internet access to under-served or poverty-stricken areas.

1 Like

Betrayed?

What did they promise you initially?

2 Likes

I say:

“Let them drown in data”

The more trivial, superfluous, irrelevant, random, obscure things we post the better. I’m pretty sure data analyst will “love” to deal with lots of internal jokes, passive aggressive posts, random images of cutlery and korean 90’s dramas quotes without context.