Petition: Facebook betrayed us by secretly lobbying for cyber-surveillance bill

Bye bye, Facebook. I’m outa here!

For those who use or have used FarkBook:

2 Likes

Maybe everybody should ask for their money back!

Don’t worry guys, I put it in a way that all Facebook users can understand:

That oughtta take care of it.

8 Likes

Facebook was going to exist eventually.

If Zuck and friends didn’t start it, maybe MySpace wouldn’t have died out, or google would have expanded Gmail into a like farm. Another company would fill the void because a mass time-waster cheaper to produce than reality TV that gushes marketable consumer data…that’s priceless!

If they somehow all didn’t manage to exist the government would still have our backs with something called “the NSA”

That’s brilliant. Begin the seeding.

I’ve gone & tried to sign the petition at the link, but the submit button doesn’t work. WTF?

“Facebook lobbyists are welcoming CISA behind closed doors, even though Facebook has been lauded as opposing the bill after CCIA, an industry association they are a member of, came out against it. CISA would give companies like Facebook legal immunity for violating privacy laws as long as they share information with the government.”

"Facebook’s chief Senate lobbyist, Myriah Jordan, worked as General Counsel for CISA’s sponsor, Senator Richard Burr, right up until taking the job at Facebook. On her lobbying disclosures she lists “cybersecurity” as one of the issues she’s been discussing with senators.

"Several offices on the Hill have heard from Facebook that they support CISA. …They backed the bill loudly before it was unpopular and then stayed silent as other big tech companies came out against it.

Under CISA:
"All privacy policies effectively null and void. Companies can share any private user data with the government, without a warrant, as long as the government says it is being used for a “cybersecurity” purpose.

"In exchange, companies are given blanket immunity from civil and criminal laws, like fraud, money laundering, or illegal wiretapping (if a violation was committed or exposed in the process of sharing data).

“Companies that play along can get otherwise classified intelligence data from the government, including private information about their competitors.”

Recall how often there is an uproar about how Facebook has once again abused user privacy. CISA would allow Facebook to exploit user privacy with impunity.

Always knew Zuckerberg was Zatan’s cuzzin’. Worst thing about FB is the mainstreaming of no privacy for all generations hence.

I dunno… I feel like it should really be fuchsia or something less readable first. And the Minion isn’t badly out of aspect ratio…

1 Like

Funny you should mention that. Just deactivated mine last week and regret it even less now. The poor privacy track record was one of the reasons why, but that algorithm turned my whole “keeping in the loop” routine into a shambles for obvious reasons. Made both practical and ethical sense to turn my back to it indefinitely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.