Petition: remove child-specific antipersonnel device from Welsh library

The comment was directed at MrMosquito, not you.

Hi ChickireD

Have visited the site you mention, any idea what certification is most appropriate?

Thank you for your interest.

I would be very pleased if you would mail me

Howard Stapleton

howard@compoundsecurity.co.uk

why will you not answer direct questions you are being asked about the safety and effectiveness of your device?

5 Likes

If you manufactured a sound emitting device for use against human beings and you didnā€™t know ahead of time what certification was most appropriate, then you did it wrong.

5 Likes

Maybe because he doesnā€™t want to know if itā€™s safe and doesnā€™t care that its effectiveness is indiscriminate and subject to abuse?

1 Like

No we know already it meets the requirements for maximum exposure/time at a typical minimum distance of 3 m, this was an important design consideration.

It would appear that with a minor downward adjustment of the sound level of the Mosquito it would meet the requirements regarding the maximum safe levels for childrenā€™s toys!

If I am correct and I am happy for any professional confirmation the limit is 85dB(A) at 50cm for a maximum duration of 8 hours. Minimum distance from an installed device is in the region of 3 meters.

I will be working on this and further will look to obtain clarification and confirmation from a certified testing establishment.

Regards Howard

But it is DESIGNED to hurt. It is designed to make it uncomfortable for people to be near it. Regardless of whether you consider teenagers people or not. I ask you again, do you suffer from migraines? I am harping on about this because I do. And I have suffered from migraines directly caused by one of your devices. What have you got to say about this?

4 Likes

I could only hear it after turning the volume on my speakers to full, and I have to say: that is absolutely awful. It made my chest hurt with anxiety and gave me a headache.

I would prefer a real mosquito to that noise. I can use repellent on them, at least, or if that fails, a boot.

1 Like

Seems like a tin of expansion foam spray would take care of it nicely. Not that I condone vandalism, but when someone is using indiscriminate sonic weaponry, Iā€™d call it self-defence.

6 Likes

I was wondering what that bee/wasp spray that can shoot several meters would do to an emitterā€¦

1 Like

Dunno. The internals should be weatherproofed, so perhaps not much, but if the speaker could be saturated enough, perhaps it might. That stuff also leaves a nasty residue and some insecticides do damage plastics. A series of tests would be in order, I thinkā€¦

2 Likes

Hi ChickieD

No we worked with all the standards we believe to be applicable.

Just interested as you are a person of science what your ā€™takeā€™ was on it.

Youā€™ve been manufacturing and selling these things for how long now?

IANAL, but the fact youā€™re only just now getting round to testing and confirmation by an independently certified source should constitute criminal negligence.

1 Like

From the very first units we followed the guidelines in regard to maximum output.

However with an adjustment it would appear we may be able to also meet the standards for childrenā€™s toys. We donā€™t have to but if possible I would like to.

It is of course is not a toy but a security sounder and could be manufactured to run at a far higher volume than it currently does. Up to 8 times louder !

And it has been tested both by us and independently, the reports are available on my Web site for all to read.

Still nothing to say about the fact that your devices do cause health issues though. Ok, let me ask you a different question.

What certifications and safety compliance notices do the mosquito devices hold, if any? Specifics please. This should be publicly available information, and you should be able to tell us this directly without simply a link to your website.

1 Like

Since @MrMosquito appears to lack the technical savvy to post a link on a BBS, Iā€™ll do it for him.

http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/security-equipment-mosquito-mk4-anti-loitering-device

Youā€™ll need to select the ā€œDownloadsā€ tab after navigating to the page.

A quick look at one of the documents reveals it to be an unsigned draft of a report. Not especially reassuring, if you ask me.

2 Likes

so in short, none. The mosquito carries no compliance notices of any kind. There are a few letters from a few nhs doctors, but no British Standard certification, no CE marking, no FCC markingā€¦ Very worrying.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a quick note to pass along to your marketing people:

In just a few minutes of poking around on your website, Iā€™ve found two spelling errors in static content. Very unprofessional.

Not to mention the video where he dismisses health concerns refers to whether fetuses can hear things ā€œin vitroā€ (vitro = glass, as in ā€œin vitro fertilisationā€), trying to sound all scientific because science, when he should have said ā€œin uteroā€

4 Likes

No, I donā€™t work in that area, but this is how I would voice a concern. In engineering, when someone builds a product for a particular market, they generally will certify to an appropriate specification. For example, I previously worked in products sold to hospitals. We had a variety of certifications that we had to get in order for the FDA to approve our products for sale. There are many, many engineering standards. ISO is one company that develops manufacturing standards, and depending on the product you intend to sell and the target market, there are different standards you need to meet. For example, the products that company sold never were used inside a patient, just near a patient. So, there were different standards for a product we sold than for a device that might be implanted inside a patient or used in their body during surgery. You would need to research the appropriate standard for such a device, then show that the device was not designed to these industry accepted standards.

I do not know the laws surrounding this, but I do know that most companies have rules about the certifications products used in their companies must meet in order to protect themselves legally - imagine if I were a patient at a hospital and found that you used a device that was not in compliance with their own rules - by showing that the products meet industry standards it protects companies as well as the people they serve.

In the US, the FDA could have shut that company down if we did not comply to their standards. You can actually go through a monitoring agency like this to shut a company down, if you know what the agency is that regulates that industry.

CE is the agency that certifies electronic devices in Europe. I would start by investigating that given that another person has stated that there is no CE mark on the product.

4 Likes