Petition: tell Obama to stand by commitment to "most transparent administration in history"

[Read the post]

Well I don’t suppose anybody’s ever done that before. It’s so crazy, it just might work!

1 Like

He wasn’t talking about government secrecy. He was bragging about his secret superpower.

10 Likes

“And after I said ‘Hope and Change’ I said - ha - I said - hahahaa - just a second - I said, I said - true story - I said ‘most transparent administration ever’!”

12 Likes

This, Snowden and continued support of mass surveillence are the only great dissapointment I’ve had with an otherwise remarkable president (imho). I had so much hope. Sigh

4 Likes

It’s a little late for that, isn’t it? If you want a transparent administration, the ONLY chance you’ve got is if Bernie Sanders wins.

3 Likes

If HRC wins it will be the most transparent presidency ever since her e-mails will be constant subpoenaed.

6 Likes

This reminds me of Tony Blair and his Freedom of Information Act that he liked so much when he was trying to get elected and rapidly changed his mind about it once he was Prime Minister.

“Freedom of Information Act. Three harmless words. I look at those words as I write them, and feel like shaking my head 'til it drops off. You idiot. You naive, foolish, irresponsible nincompoop. There is really no description of stupidity, no matter how vivid, that is adequate. I quake at the imbecility of it.”

2 Likes

To be fair, the administration doesn’t have to be all that transparent to be the most transparent in history.

3 Likes

Hey remember when they planned to host every bill that was due to come across his desk on Whitehouse.gov so people could read and comment on it before he did anything with it?

Although I suppose they made that promise before realizing what an internet comments section is actually like. looks around nervously

3 Likes

4 Likes

I look to one of two theories for his about-face on this subject.

1. The day he moved into the White House, he was told “Implement your transparency initiative, and your family will be dead within 24 hours.” Or,

2. His golfing buddies.

5 Likes

Probably a mix. But every time I start to blame the president, I remember his employees might not all obey him, and the congress certainly doesn’t. I honestly believe, for example, he wants Guantanamo closed, but congress has blocked every attempt, secure in the knowledge that nobody’s going to blame them.

2 Likes

If Obama is really one of the good guys, why hasn’t he used the bully pulpit to tell the nation how it’s been taken over by a bunch of fucking pirates?

3 Likes

Waaaaaaayyyy too late.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s waiting for his farewell address.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of
unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of
this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We
should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable
citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and
military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so
that security and liberty may prosper together.

3 Likes

The President is on the phone with this guy…

6 Likes

Which Presidents COULD make a credible claim to “most transparent in history,” I wonder? Are they really getting more secretive or has technology and public scrutiny just made those secrets more apparent?

‘And these are your reasons, my lord?’
‘Do you think I have others?’ said Lord Vetinari. ‘My motives, as ever, are entirely transparent.’
Hughnon reflected that ‘entirely transparent’ meant either that you could see right through them or that you couldn’t see them at all.

• Terry Pratchett, The Truth
7 Likes

There do seem to be a lot more things being made “classified”

but it’s hard to say, right? Apparently, a lot of those items aren’t really secret in the normal sense and there is as much or more information available in through the news.

Also, our expectations for public scrutiny have definitely changed: We don’t just want the records available for copying at an office in DC; we want to be able to download them from the internet in a sensible format. That sort of thing was simply impossible in the past.

1 Like