Petulant Musk rants about New York Times and takes away its blue check

Passively not doing any brand advertising on there doesn’t hurt them, withdrawing from the p2p engagement they do would draw attention of the wider world (I mean, users couldn’t care any less at all if you never advertised!) and possibly lead to unwanted controversy. But on this trajectory they’ll start
closing their accounts in ones and twos and then everyone everywhere all at once. No hurry though.

4 Likes

Yeah, outside of Twitter fandom that’s the one interesting question about this whole rancid spectacle. It is to management science what the Tacoma Narrows Bridge was to structural engineering.

I mean it’s also a wake-up call regarding “meritocracy”, but that was already a well-served genre.

9 Likes

He’ll probably pass the Elon husk on to the next techbro with an excess of vapor-money.

5 Likes

Which, up until recently, was pretty well hidden. I suspect we have no idea…

I keep saying, Elon Musk is single-handedly destroying (what’s left of) the myth of the meritocracy.

Also I continue to be amused that Elon Musk has made “Elon Musk type characters” (i.e. brash, mercurial tech geniuses breaking new ground in futuristic transportation) in fiction implausible.

9 Likes

Wow, This will very much make twitter a place for brands to feel safe. Way to go on these amazing moves to make money.

6 Likes

He’s even more petulant than he appears at first, how is that even possible?

They’re in the top 10,000 , #23 according to wikipedia, so they wouldn’t be paying anyway.

3 Likes

Reminds me of how I held out hope that Trump’s first presidential candidacy was actually Andy Kaufman’s biggest joke after faking his death. But no, Andy’s dead and the joke isn’t funny.

10 Likes

The NPR Twitter account is now labeled “US state-affiliated media,” similar to how RTand Xinhua are labeled “Russia state-affiliated media” and “China state-affiliated media.” That move contradicted Twitter’s own policy on labeling government or state-affiliated media accounts, which said:

State-financed media organizations with editorial independence, like the BBC in the UK or NPR in the US for example, are not defined as state-affiliated media for the purposes of this policy.

Twitter deleted “or NPR in the US” from that line of the policy, apparently doing so shortly after a Washington Post reporter pointed out last night that “Twitter branding @NPR ‘state-affiliated media’ literally conflicts with its own policy.” Twitter removed NPR from the policy sometime after 2:34 am UTC today, Internet Archive capturesshow.

5 Likes

I stared at this and asked myself for how long he will be the new owner of Twitter.

I have the feeling that another adjective will be shortly. I’m not sure which.

5 Likes

Britney Spears What GIF

4 Likes

I thought Ayn Rand did that ages ago…

3 Likes

If they weren’t so deeply in debt, that’d be my guess too. But to make the debt repayments, their options seem to be either to thrive or fold.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.