PewDiePie goes on the record

Seems like you don’t have any understanding of “ironic humor”. Ironic humor isn’t saying something terrible and then saying, “it’s cool you guys, I was just being ironic”.

You can be edgy and even incredibly offensive and still be funny, but you have to walk a very fine line to do so. And just saying shit to get a reaction is not the way to do it.

20 Likes

And money. Don’t forget the money. Monetization is another big issue here because the more popular you are, the more money you get, which in turn encourages you to create more content of the kind that made you popular in the first place… Demonetizing certain types of videos would be a good idea, except as we’ve seen from time to time it gets applied in terrible ways.

Anyway, operations like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, etc. are pretty much enabling shitty things because as corporations their primary objective is to get more people involved with their platform, and to keep the existing users continuously engaged. They may pay lip service to regulating harmful content, but overall it’s not really in their interest to do so when said harmful content generates so much interest and revenue.

7 Likes

If he does lose absolutely everything, he can just say he’s not really destitute, he’s just a multi-multi-billionaire playing a joke :roll_eyes:

Because “ironic humor” basically means that whatever you turn into because of your stupid-ass decisions, you aren’t really what you’ve become.

12 Likes

ETA:

14 Likes

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Richard Pryor are all prime examples of comedians who excelled at ironic humor.

One thing they all had in common (aside from actually being funny) is that they punched UP, not down.

If your ‘ironic humor’ involves denigrating an entire group of people that are already historically oppressed, marginalized and/or persecuted, that doesn’t make you “ironic” or funny… it just makes you a bullying asshole.

14 Likes

In the case of Lenny Bruce I have never found him particularly funny in the “ha ha” sense but within his provocative statements and monologues were often things that stopped and made you think, and they were incredibly subversive at the time. This is a big part of why we talk about and analyze his work even now, some five decades since he died. He still said things that even now are cringe-worthy at best and indefensible at worst, as did Carlin and Pryor - but those are the risks of being a provocateur.

When you say outrageous things, there has to be a reason behind it, not just to get a reaction. The former is what skilled humorists do, the latter is what the “racist uncle” trope does. When Bruce talked about racism by using offensive language he was doing so specifically to shine a light on it. There was a point to it. It was to shock his mostly white audience into listening and really see the ugliness behind his words. PewDiePie by comparison pays someone to hold up a sign saying “death to all Jews” and when people get outraged he says, “I was least trying to show how crazy the world is!” as if this was a statement that needed to be made.

If PewDiePie’s entire body of work were to disappear yesterday, the world would be no worse off for it.

14 Likes

9 Likes

I also think when people hear “outrageous comments” and rush in to defend them, they never talk about the specific flavor of outrageous commentary that gets their attention. It’s usually about Nazis, white supremacy, attacking minorities, attacking women.

If some stupid edgelord just wants “outrage for the clicks”, then “All politicians should be women” should theoretically get you at least as much internet outrage pound-for-pound, kilo-for-kilo, as someone saying, “All politicians should be men.”

Strangely, they don’t want that kind of outrage/free speech/“testing the boundaries for the sake of science”/“showing off how brave they are, as a conceptual exercise”.

6 Likes

Humor doesn’t always age well. If somebody is pushing boundaries and making people nervous by breaking the rules, later generations who have different boundaries and different rules are not going to get it unless it’s explained to us.

Bill Hicks was decades later and his stuff is already looking pretty creaky, for similar reasons.

8 Likes

I noticed that when I’ve watched old episodes of Laugh-In. While some of the skits have aged surprisingly well, and at times seem eerily prophetic, there are occasional bits that are downright cringeworthy.

Of course, a lot of things that went right over my head when I saw the show back then are a whole lot clearer as a 50-plus-year-old.

6 Likes

George Burns and Gracie Allen had a TV show for a while, you can watch episodes of it and there’s a live audience laughing its ass off even though, to us, nothing especially funny is happening

3 Likes

Did anyone actually read the article? I don’t have a subscription. Is he all ironically apologizing for his antics?

Good thing you’re in Sweden PewDiePie. If Trump gets his “Civil War” you’d be one of the first one’s going to the wall if you lived in the US.

1 Like

If you want the real nightmare, go listen to Behind The Bastards episode on the YouTube algorithm https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/how-youtube-became-a-perpetual-nazi-machine.htm

This statement has made me realize what an edgelord I am. On my blog I have advocated for:

• Eliminating the assumption of innocence in cases where men are accused of sexually assaulting women and replacing it with assumption of guilt
  • Replacing the American health care system with the cheaper Canadian one and using the savings to hire assassins to kill Americans at random, thereby avoiding saving any lives
  • That free speech is working against personal freedom and should be eliminated
  • That I empathize with Donald Trump

It’s inflammatory to both sides.

1 Like

Who die pie? Who D π?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.