PewDiePie fan unleashes ransomware that encrypts hard drives until he gets 100M subscribers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/21/pewdiepie-fan-unleashes-ransom.html

4 Likes

Jeezus when you think being an asshole edgelord nazi wannabe isn’t low enough.

ETA or it isn’t some fans but some black hat wanting to give him a even worse name… if it is that then well played but you are still an asshole.

34 Likes

My 2 cent opinion solution: Youtube needs to change displayed subscriber numbers to the McDonalds approach. i.e. “Millions of subscribers.” No designation higher than that.

37 Likes

Time to go subscribe to T-series.

13 Likes

So when will youtube just ban PewDiePie?

Edit: If you are doing something that attracts criminal activity, I think there are grounds for youtube to do just that. If I were one of the unfortunate souls that got ransomwared and lost my files, I would be going straight after Youtube for compensation.

29 Likes

Right after Twitter bans Il Douche.

18 Likes

“bordering on criminal behavior”? How forgiving is that border these days?

“I hope I didn’t cause to much of an issue for anyone.”

Do you hope that, you little shit? Do you really? I have my doubts.

21 Likes

‘DiePewDiePieDie’ comes to mind.

14 Likes

It’s interesting and quite concerning to me that “trolling” has reached such absurd heights as a practice, The President of the USA is one, the biggest YouTube personality is one, etc. etc. etc. This can’t be good for civilization — trolls now have nukes, for instance. Literally. :flushed:

20 Likes

That would seem to be the most obvious, logical answer; which means they’ll probably do anything and everything BUT that.

12 Likes

it’s time to scrap this whole internet thing. obviously this is too much for human beings to handle.

12 Likes

At the same time Twitter bans Donald Trump… :-/

ETA: Doh, jaf beat me to it.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly, which is what I just went and did. Bollywood is great BTW, glad PewDiePie and his douche ilk brought it to my attention.

5 Likes

Subscribe to ContraPoints!

(And the YouTube algorithm is so fucked up it recommends PewDiePie as a related channel :roll_eyes:)

14 Likes

Just took a look at it for the first time. The comments section is filled with trash talk from PewDiePie jerks… Uhg, YouTube comments may not be the absolute worst, but they are the worst mainstream ones…

4 Likes

b594ad77e2297a27faa7ce5c40c5e0e650f9cc28_2_690x388

15 Likes

One has to be careful about blaming content creators for what fans do. Such justifications are used all over the world (even the potential for it) to stifle political speech worldwide. It’s even the reason that the Wikimedia foundation will not allow offices or employees in India - the law there makes it quite likely that any article the government dislikes would result in those employees’ detainment, not to mention the situation now in place with the new internet laws in Russia.

That being said, denouncing this behaviour on his channel seems appropriate, no? There has to be a point where you get popular enough that not saying anything is the same as supporting a behaviour?

19 Likes

I’ve never seen any Pewdiepie, i have nothing to say about him and i’d like to continue my life ignoring him. As far as the other channel goes, i appreciate Bollywood and wish them success but i’m not going to sub to a channel i have no interest in personally following. I try to reserve following a channel only if i’m genuinely wanting to watch their content on a consistent basis, not just to throw them a sub for the sake of it.

6 Likes

Given that PewDiePie has given a platform to the alt-right on his show. He isn’t going to denounce anything.

14 Likes

Why does the “bro fist” only have 3 fingers?

2 Likes