Pharma CEO raises EpiPen price by 400%, and gets a 671% raise

they’re not selling fewer because the pens have to keep being replaced so they’re locking in more and more of a revenue stream the more requirements are out there to buy them. The increased price is just a piece of the increase in money they’re getting from this.

4 Likes

Do we really want kids whose parents can’t afford Epipen brand injectors to survive to breeding age?
Consume or die!

4 Likes

To clarify: I’m make no effort to identify the moral worth of an individual and I understand that the necessity of an epipen as a product of chance and not of the virtue or vice of any single individual.

However, the cost of all of these are intertwined. All I’m trying to say is everything is fucked: from our expectations, to our executions, to our developments, to our needs, to our greed.

I just think problems such as these are not seen with the appropriate scope.

Also I live with similar health restrictions and costs and necessities for medication which I simply can’t afford (a condition of chance).

1 Like

The free market will solve this. I see no problem here. You people should hear yourself talking … sounds like a bunch of pinkos.

7 Likes

Don’t feel too bad. 2016 has been a glowing year for Poe’s law.

1 Like

Not to anyone outside the U.S. They all think that our government (if not our people, and it should depress anyone that the two are now very distinct) believe that medical care is very much a commercial service—not even a privilege—and a profitable one at that.

10 Likes

I looked at her LinkedIn profile which lists just one education, the aforementioned MBA. How can someone with zero credentials related to medicine get a job as CEO of a pharm company? Also a jokingly short list of endorsed skills, even more so compared to her colleages at Mylan.

Well, at least medicine douchebaggery is not exclusively dudebro’s…

1 Like

So it runs in the family…

In that case, she is will paid.

Wonder if her daddy had a hand in that.

It’s the American Way!!

6 Likes

Not as easy as you would think. For instance there are some companies that have refused to sell samples of their expired-patent drug to their competitors, because… competition! Never mind that in order to be certified for bioequivalency by the FDA, you kinda need those samples. There have been lawsuits, though I don’t know if they’re still pending or what their outcome will be. I don’t know that it applies in this case, but you’d be surprised at the kinds of things that will slow down the process.

12 Likes

“a degree improperly awarded to the governor’s daughter”

That’s the credential; she has insider access to corruption. Saves 'em a shitload on bribes.

The pharma industry is not run by doctors and scientists; it’s run by MBAs and IP lawyers. The focus of their business is not in discovering and delivering medicine; it is in monetising IP, most of which is taken from publicly-funded research, done by subsistence-pay grad students and postdocs.

Recommended:

12 Likes

It’s like the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean: it points to a huge pile of blood money.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, but you were bringing in a moral judgement as soon as you started on about drinking, smoking and other indulgences and comparing that with deathbed lamentations. You were making a comment about society, but society is composed of individuals, and we all of us do not lead perfect lives. Most of us will live to regret our indulgences, but that will be true under any system of healthcare.

And it still has nothing to do with the price of greedy CEOs.

Edit: Also

The relevant scene is at 10.00–13.50, or if you want the money shots, 11.15–11.40 and 12.47–13.08

The problem isn’t that we can’t afford an efficient health service because of all those bad people who don’t take care of themselves; we are nearly all those people and we are mostly capable of making judgements about how much indulgence we can afford. The problem is all those bad people who think an efficient service is just something that they can bleed for a profit.

14 Likes

Also, again: the final part of Dr Kevin Fong’s BBC radio report on failure management in the health industry. Scroll on to 24.09–24.50. Tl;dl — “In health care, strangely, supply drives demand […] so, no, I haven’t seen market forces as generally productive.”

4 Likes

The CEO, Heather Bresch, is also the daughter of former WV Governor and current US Senator Joe Manchin (D) and the recipient of a questionable MBA from WVU which resulted in the outster of the president, Michael Garrison, of that university, someone who had been her prom date once upon a time.

At least, according to what I’ve read on the Intertubes.

3 Likes

While I agree with much of the rest of your comments, I think its worth pointing out that the current system is NOT a free market.

3 Likes

But seriously, though. Welcome to late stage capitalism.

10 Likes

Curious, at what point do we get people who have so little to lose and so much anger at specific companies that they start trying to hunt down and harass or even kill executives / business figures? It seems like everyone these days is one corporate-sponsored disaster from ruin and we already have a very violent tribal society in the US. When do we start seeing angry white people itching to shoot up rich people as much as they apparently want to minorities or children?

I don’t think we’ll ever have an out and out revolution, but I’m wondering when we start seeing class-motivated violence.

2 Likes

Seize the drug under emanate domain and give the rights away for free. Problem solved.

2 Likes

The issue isn’t actually the drug, per se. Epinephrine itself is actually generic, has been around years, and isn’t expensive when you simply have a bottle of it and a syringe. It’s the delivery package that’s the issue. And that for some inexplicable, legal reason, is included in the prescription. So, My kids aren’t perscribed Epinephrine, with the pharmacist able to sit down with me and discuss options on methods, options for delivery, etc. They’re specifically prescribed Epi-Pens, which from the pharmicist’s perspective, is a COMPLETELY different medication from epinephrine in some other auto-injector, or just by itself with a syringe. And I say other auto-injector like there’s a host of options here, but, in reality, there really arn’t. I’ve heard of 3, including Epi-Pen, one of which is no longer available. But to get the other one, I’d have to go back and get a different prescription for that other type of lesser known auto-injector. And oh yeah, the emergency Epi-Pens that the schools have to be able to respond to these sorts of emergencies? Technically my kids couldn’t have those then.

Basically, epinepherine needs to be treated way less like a Medication, and more like an AED (auto Defib device), Something kept nearby where emergency situations might occur, that can be obtained in a hurry for anyone having a critical life threatening reaction, and which people with chronic regular issues of that sort have their own that is significantly or completely covered by their insurance.

8 Likes

You act like that is crazy talk, but a lot of companies have some form of profit sharing. Including Walmart.

2 Likes