Pharma price-gouger Martin Shkreli smirks at Congress, refuses to answer questions

[Read the post]

19 Likes

Weā€™ll see how long this guyā€™s smirk lastsā€¦ heā€™s pissed off the Wu Tang Clan as well as Congress at this point- letā€™s see who wipes it off his face first.

9 Likes

Hmmā€¦heā€™s actually a pretty handsome man, when he isnā€™t animating his face with his loathsome personality. Evil often comes with nice wrapping. This is why I find books that make the villains ugly and obvious so stupid and boring, including LotR (ā€œOrcs! They are sentient beings, but they are black and ugly, so kill all you want and feel good about it!ā€ :open_mouth: )

1 Like

Youā€™re doing fine Shkreli, keep digging that hole!

5 Likes

Geezā€¦ if you are going to treat a Congressional committee with contempt, it should at least be the House Science committee during their climate change hearingsā€¦

32 Likes

I get the sense that karma is making a very wide, long, and deliberate approach to gather some real energy for this guyā€¦

31 Likes

It must feel good to be a sociopath.

4 Likes

The last time I read LoTR I couldnā€™t help having a dislike of Samwise Gamgee. I wanted Frodo to give him the ring just before pushing him into Mount Doom.

I really couldnā€™t blame anyone if they ā€˜accidentallyā€™ pushed Martin Shkreli into a volcano either.

8 Likes

Well, this is a guy whoā€™s said heā€™s deliberately trying to be ā€œthe worldā€™s heelā€ and is doing his best to troll people into hating him as much as possible. I guess everyoneā€™s got a hobby.

6 Likes

ā€œHe was recently arrested on unrelated fraud charges and released on bond, thereby justifying his use of a phrase ā€” ā€œOn the advice of councelā€¦ I respectfully declineā€ ā€” used seemingly to mock his interrogators today.ā€

Soā€¦he was arrested on fraud charges ā€“ which were certainly about his time as CEO of the company they were investigating, you folks expect him to take ANY chance of indicting himself further? The man is most likely facing several years in jail at the very leastā€¦he knows that his life is about to change for the worse. Iā€™d be mocking my captors too if I knew they were simply there toying with me trying to bully me into admitting that I was a bad person for doing EXACTLY what these folks had encouraged and made legal in other aspects ā€“ looking for the one area that may not be legal ā€“ to set an example of me.

The man deserves to go to jail, but the things that Congress were investigating him for were all of their own doing. They set the laws and pretty much caved in to every pharm company that gave them a couple bucks to change lawsā€¦and now they want to put the blame on someone else. Congress is more at fault for this gouging than Shkreli ever was.

12 Likes

Couldnā€™t get more than 1/4 through the 1st book, but from that & the film it seems he was quite the groveling, worshipful, epitome of the servant class, while Pippin and Merry were the resourceful English Yeomen.

2 Likes

Point taken, but no one forced him to charge dying people $750 per pill.

Really? Heā€™s the epitome of ā€œratfacedā€ in my book. Which happens to fit his actions perfectly.

14 Likes

Yeah, I canā€™t stand the guy, but I canā€™t fault him on taking the 5th here. Thatā€™s what itā€™s there for. This is Congress trying to make him the scapegoat for their own ill-thought decisions, and thereā€™s no point in giving them any ammo or even more of a bully pulpit.

That said, I hope he gets nailed to the wall for the fraud and SEC violations.

Edit: oh yeah, calling the Congress ā€œimbecilesā€ is a really good way to make sure they leave you alone. Of course itā€™s true, but itā€™s best not to call them out on it. Everyone knows the emperor has no clothes. I am glad I am not this turdā€™s lawyer.

16 Likes

That had been my impression up until today. The non-smirking photos over at Gawker were actually pretty nice looking. Nice chin dimple. Too bad about the sociopathyā€¦

http://gawker.com/martin-shkreli-invokes-his-fifth-amendment-right-not-to-1757080115

Exactly. All he did was bring the Wall Street hedge funder mentality to Pharma. ā€œpush the law to itā€™s limits and get all you canā€. Pharma people, as rapacious as they are, did not dare do something as bold as leverage an old drug for a quick $3/4B before competitors were in production.

Reminds me of a friend who worked at a Tower Records and frequently took a couple of CDs, as did much of the staff. A new guy came who filled duffles, and the management had to get serious about the inventory shrinkage that previously had been tolerated as an affordable perk of the low paid.

13 Likes

Although I think this whole hearing is a sham and grandstand for ā€œoh shit, theyā€™re watching! Look busy, congress!ā€ā€¦

The term, ā€œhiding behind the 5th Amendmentā€ is the most Anti-American title for invoking constitutional rights. Being accused of ā€œHiding behindā€, any amendment is a sure sign that the group or person accusing the ā€œhiderā€ wishes they could do what they want and ignore the rule of law. Free speech got ya down, donā€™t like the other personā€™s views? Waah. ā€œHiding behind the 1st amendmentā€.

Itā€™s just a goddamn piece of paper after all. -_-

6 Likes

Do we not ALL hold congress in contempt, to some degree? Some large degree?

10 Likes

No, but the laws were changed by these very people in order to make it possible and probable. In no way am I defending the man from this charge. Iā€™m defending him from going in front of a kangaroo court, being judged by people far slimier than he is and far more guilty.

No, they generally do this up front. And with first run drugs as opposed to ones that have moved into generic versions.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve heard it described as the Worldā€™s Most Punchable Face!

15 Likes