Phoebe and her unicorn are back in Razzle Dazzle Unicorn!

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/22/phoebe-and-her-unicorn-are-bac.html
Since 2015, our family has been in love with Dana Simpson’s Phoebe and Her Unicorn books, a kind of modern take on Calvin and Hobbes, only Calvin is an awesome little girl, Hobbes is a unicorn, and the parental figures can see and interact with the unicorn, but are not freaked out because she generates a SHIELD OF BORINGNESS. Now, the insanely prolific Simpson has released the fourth collection in the series: Razzle Dazzle Unicorn: Another Phoebe and Her Unicorn Adventure.

4 Likes

We picked this up to read with our 5-year-old daughter, and the joke-per-page cadence was very foreign to her. It was also strange having the story occasionally interrupted by off-narrative pages. I think it’s funny, but I’m not sure we’re at the right point for my daughter to really enjoy it yet.

1 Like

I agree this is basically a Calvin and Hobbes-esque strip. It is delightful and funny and original.

You can read all of her web comic here to try it out. We actually need to catch up, as we have like a year and a half to go. (Though part of me is dragging our feet because once you read it all, then you have to wait for more.)

http://www.gocomics.com/phoebe-and-her-unicorn

I went ahead and ordered the book because it is great and want to support the artists. I didn’t know they came in hard back. Crap, now I kinda want to go buy the hard backs for the first 3, but oh well. Since I have those fancy dust jacket protectors, I try to get everything with one so I can make glossy and protected.

We met Dana at a Brony convention and they had a room just for kids and parents and Dana did more or less a private drawing lesson for us. She let us keep the sketches when done.

6 Likes

The art in this comic is probably what makes it so much like Calvin and Hobbes as well; the empty white space and backgrounds that draw the eye to the characters, the backgrounds also provide minimal detail but are very distinct and let you know exactly where in this universe you are with the characters - including when you are in an imaginary world, etc.

The only thing I have not seen is the large panel backgrounds that Watterson would make, complete with obsessive references to early comic panels.

3 Likes

Okay, “Roll for initiative” made me squee with delight.
Too cute.

3 Likes

If I had known that nitpicking caused d10 damage, I would have played the character class of Pedant a lot more often!

2 Likes

That’s hardly a cantrip by today’s standards

1 Like

“12th level district attorney” is one of the scariest things I’ve ever heard. When the villain is a 12th level district attorney, you know you’re fucked.

2 Likes

Good news and bad news.
Bad news: Book five won’t be out until late March 2017.
Good news: It’s already available for pre-order!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.