Photo claimed to show federal judge in MAGA drag is 2022 stock photo

I assume the embedded tweet was added to the post before that disclaimer was added to it.

8 Likes

As if he ever had a doubt it would turn out this way. Even if it hadn’t, he would have kept appealing until he found one of his people. Embarrassing for America and for humanity.

2 Likes

In a sane and ethical world, Judge Canon would recuse herself. Alas, we left that world back around the time Reagan was elected and have been slowly sliding into a conservative delusion ever since.

But I’m not terribly worried about her. The court of appeals above her stands ready to slap her nonsense to the ground with many repeated “are you REALLY this stupid?” comments attached.

2 Likes

This whole post is based on one tweet that anybody with half a brain would know is fake after 2 seconds.

1 Like

I came here yesterday to post it was not her but I saw a lot of people pointing it out and figured it would be corrected or deleted by now.

Don’t authors of posts ever read the comments to their posts or do they just drop them and move on?

3 Likes

I’m not going to address the photo since enough people have pointed out that it’s not Cannon. Does she have to recuse herself because she was appointed by Trump? Probably not. She wasn’t required to last year when she was overseeing Trump’s suit against the government to try to force them to appoint a special master. But, it’s probably a question on which reasonable people could differ. If anyone is curious, here’s the rule on recusals for federal judges.

If she doesn’t recuse herself, I’m not super concerned. Why? Because unlike the Supreme Court, lower court judges actually are bound by ethics rules and there are consequences for violating them. Cannon’s shitty decision last year got reversed on appeal by a pretty conservative appeals court and they blasted her pretty good in the decision. Well…the federal appeals court version of a blast, anyway. Judges really don’t like that. They also don’t like having their decisions overturned. Often, after one of those kinds of appeals court rulings, a lower court judge gets their shit together because they don’t want to repeat the experience. And if she does actually show any favoritism during the trial, that itself can be grounds for an appeal and can open herself up to sanctions.

Lastly, I read that indictment, as I said in the other post, and holy shit. This is a strong, strong case. Short of the kind of really blatant manipulation that would open her to sanctions and the decision to an appeal, I don’t see how she could nudge things enough to get Trump acquitted.

Ok, I lied, this is my lastly. I think she should recuse herself anyway, even though she’s probably not required to. Why would she want to open herself up to this criticism? She’s a young judge with a potentially long career ahead of her. Fucking this up would relegate her to being stuck at the district court level for the rest of her career. I think she’d be a lot smarter to nope right away from this case. Let someone else get the attention and publicity from this one and play the long game.

3 Likes

Um… that isn’t Cannon.

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

7 Likes

OR, if she influences the process enough, and Drumph get elected, she could be a supreme court judge.

Note that autocorrect prompted me to use “jester” instead of judge, and isnt THAT appropriate?!

1 Like

Was just giving a “+1”…

2 Likes

Unfortunately with the politicized nature of the judiciary now, i suspect most Trump appointees are stuck where they are unless the fascists regain power, and if that were to happen (shudder) any sign of deviation from the party would make them pariahs. So, no, i don’t see consideration for her career as a motivation for her to play it straight. Embarrassment might, though. I figure she will be as biased as she thinks she can get away with. As you said, though, with a case this strong, where he is on tape admitting to the crimes he is accused of, i suspect she cannot put enough of a fix in to get him out of it. One hopes, at least.

5 Likes

Corrected.

6 Likes

RE: …/boingboing.net/2023/06/09/federal-judge-overseeing-new-trump-case…

From your response :

CORRECTION : The photo below was misrepresented on social media: it’s a Getty Images editorial photo, [can’t be Aileen Cannon, as it was taken at a rally far from Florida in 2022]. We regret repeating the error.

If you follow the link [can’t be Aileen…], you are redirected to a trump retail/donation page.

…gettyimages.in/detail/news-photo/people-gather-to-hear-former-president-donald-trump-speak-news-photo/1420565886… appears fake to me …

Just sayin’
Not sayin’ the photo IS of the judge, just that he corrective link doesn’t refute the claim either.

So it’s not her? Should we start a thread? BTW has anyone heard from Rob Ford recently?

1 Like

Isn’t he dead? Should we start a thread? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is more than likely where it originated. Read the caption, they were using the photo to suggest trump appointed judges were like hard core supporters.

Photo source, I would think if that was really the judge the photographer would have been shopping it around.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.