Picking your nose could increase dementia risk

Originally published at: Picking your nose could increase dementia risk | Boing Boing

2 Likes

So how did they pick the mice’s noses?
I mean, besides carefully.

25 Likes

So the mouth-breathers were right all along?

(NB I’m doomed, if this is true. There comes an age when the nose hairs get out of control and itch and tickle so much the only way forward is to cut them regularly.)

13 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I picked my nose.

26 Likes

Cut! Don’t pluck. You’ll be okay. Besides, it hurts less.

6 Likes

Never guess what I’m doing, Right Now!

21 Likes

I do cut (as I said) ALWAYS! Plucking is for masochists. :wink:

2 Likes

Sooo that thing they do, where they rip out all your nose hair at once by stuffing up a hair wax glob covered stick and yanking it out… that would be deemed, in light of this study, a bad thing™?

general youtube search if you dare

2 Likes

I don’t think my 6-year-olds are going to listen to this line of reasoning.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I see what you did there.

5 Likes

Well, guess I’m fu…fine. I’m fine.

5 Likes

Probably one of those very unlikely but can happen type of things.

From memory, so anecdotal but some 20 odd years ago I’m sure my wife’s uncle died from this very thing, plucked a nose hair and got infection. At least as I remember it.

3 Likes

That Biz Markie line about “stuck his finger up his nose, and then into his brain” suddenly sounds a lot more scary, prescient even.

3 Likes

AFAICT the nosepicking line is entirely from Neuroscience News. A nice followup note on RAT (rapid antigen luxeoswabbing) made clear that the bit with the hairs and the bit with the brain protrusion have a bit of mucous fuse between them. Whichever might be so, the researchers started from noting that 90% of tested brains from Alz. had c. pneumonia DNA in 'em as if they’d had it in there. Likewise discounting the 90% as having been eating out people with chlamydia trachtomysis (different chlamydia from c. pneumoniae) seems a bit much.

4 Likes

“Advantage” No. 53421 of working at a company with several thousand employees at our campus, and even more employees spread amongst other campuses within driving distance: At my first employer there was a 20-something engineer known for his nose hairs. Why? You could see them from far off. How’s that? He let them grow without trimming, if any. Within ~15’ away one could see his nose hairs poofed out from his nostrils, looking like tiny afros. After a couple of years of that, the ‘afros’ disappeared. Perhaps someone pointed out their curiousness, prompting him to take action.

7 Likes

I’ve always loved when people say that nose hair helps filter out the bad things. Hmm, seems ironic then babies and children have none while the older I get the more it looks like a redwood forest growing in there. I’d be down with electrolysis and permeant removal as an option.

I can!
Guess that means I’m still in the clear. :wink:

1 Like

One way or another, I’m not gonna be that old guy with the nose hairs growing all wild out of my nostrils. If my son does one thing for me in my dying days, it will be to trim them. I just hope I remember his name.

1 Like