Pigeon with a sombrero appears in Nevada after tragic death of pigeon with cowboy hat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/pigeon-with-a-sombrero-appears.html

“It is unclear who put the hat on the bird.”

4 Likes

There are more humane ways to achieve this same effect folks.

thesingingbullfrog

(source)

12 Likes

Have they figured out what kind of adhesive was used?

You would think the glue would just detach with natural molting. Not advocating you glue props to animals, but people glue little claw covers on their cats all of the time. They just “shed” them off.

And don’t get me started on dog grooming contests… maybe it’s just tacky but it seems pretty cruel to me.

2 Likes

A fact apparently lost on some of our own community’s members.

5 Likes

as a Reno resident, i approve.
you heard me.

and it’s not that i don’t like pigeons. they’re fine. i don’t want them to be hurt by the hats, i just approve of them having them.

4 Likes

Possibly duck tape.

8 Likes

The claw covers are to prevent cats with a scratching habit from destroying anything that catches their fancy. Until you can find something they prefer to exercise their claws on instead of your good sofa, it’s infinitely superior to declawing (although trimming claws is a good option too). And yes, they will shed after a while with the regular claw sheaths.

7 Likes

And they are designed with this purpose in mind and don’t hurt the cat.

6 Likes

I don’t know that pigeons need “protection”, but how about just leaving them the F alone.

4 Likes

Zardulu. Zardulu. Probably, Zardulu.

Now I’m imagining a pigeon spaghetti western where the nameless Pigeon With A Sombrero shows up to avenge the tragic death of his friend, Pigeon With Cowboy Hat.

8 Likes

“So I’m out in the field on a ride along with parking enforcement, and what do I see? It appears to be a pigeon with a sombrero…”

A ride along with parking enforcement?? Really?

Slow day in Nevada.

SnoopyNap

2 Likes

but it’s not cool to glue things to living creatures, even if they’re a species you don’t like.

except mosquitos. Glue all the motherf-cking hats you want on mosquitos.

7 Likes

And yellowjackets. But maybe straightjackets for the yellowjackets. With Hannibal Lecter-style muzzles.

3 Likes

You realize they sting you with their butts, right?

3 Likes

I know it all too well.

Are you proposing butt-muzzles? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

And the cat is a domesticated animal used to having humans handle it.

Even if the adhesive used in the bird is water soluble and will dissolve in the next rain, the bird must have been terrified to be caught and held still.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.