Pigeons sink into grain

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/12/pigeons-sink-into-grain.html

2 Likes

How else to you think they make iron and protein fortified bread?

26 Likes

The optimist (somewhere) in me knows they’re coming out the other end, shaking themselves off, and flying back for another go.

31 Likes

To be fair, humans are the same way with pudding.

30 Likes

I heard Pigeon screams, little tiny Pigeon screams. I’ll never eat Pigeon again.

12 Likes

In soviet Russia…grain eats pigeons.

Also, this gives new meaning to the old nursery rhyme:

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;
Wasn’t that a dainty dish,
To set before the king?

27 Likes

It’s called “squab”, man.

9 Likes

This is what happens when modern threats have no analogue in the natural world.

Natural selection has spent a lot of time honing responses to “holy shit look at all this food” and not “why is this giant pile of food moving relative to the surroundings?”.

35 Likes

I am reminded a bit of watching ant-lions…

12 Likes
10 Likes

That’s my view as well. They simply have no point of reference for what’s happening. I just hope the sorting process involves an open drop to allow them escape.

13 Likes

I really hope they’re all okay :C

6 Likes

Well, that’s a metaphor for something.

12 Likes
25 Likes

Reminds me of how my Irish grandfather died after falling into the vat at the Guinness brewery.

They tried their best to pull him out but he kept fighting them off.

36 Likes

Also, pigeons aren’t the only ones this sort of thing happens to, there is a reason why wikipedia has a substantial page on the subject of grain entrapment.

13 Likes

“I can feel the warp overtaking me. It is a good pain!”

5 Likes

That’s like how my grandfather died. When the company president came to my grandmother’s house to tell her the bad news, she said “well, I hope he went quickly” and the president said “no, he got out three times to go to the bathroom before finally succumbing”

26 Likes

The ones that embrace the vortex will not reproduce, whereas the ones that fly away (for any number of reasons) are selected for being nervous around a grain vortex. The nervous ones are more likely to have offspring that share that attribute.

9 Likes

Oh god this is terrifying

14 Likes