Pigeons sink into grain

OK, Debbie Downer. Pigeons aren’t people.

6 Likes

god i hope the pigeons are okay, this is really depressing.
there has to be an analogy to modern life in there.

seriously, why wouldn’t they screen over the top or something to prevent this, i’d think a lot of dead pigeons would wreck the grain batch making it unusable.

10 Likes

I’ve seen similar behavior before, but only in ducks, and not with grain:

31 Likes

Let’s not forget this scene from Witness.

4 Likes

This is so going to wind up in one of those “most satisfying videos on the web” compilations.

Not for me, but it does have that hypnotic quality.

3 Likes

With careful editing, I’d wager someone could make it into a perfect loop.

6 Likes

The pigeons – I think – are trying to fly to a spot where they can eat the grain unmolested. Every time a pigeon-in-arms takes the grain elevator to hell, another one seems to think that that spot – no unoccupied – would be lovely.

8 Likes

Solent Grain IS pigeons!

15 Likes

One of my all-time favorite time wasters, ever ever ever ever. Also, cathartic if one has been bitten many times by ants. Although I grew up calling them “doodlebugs”, and…now I see why my Dad never taught me the full “doodlebug” song:

Doodle, doodle, come and get some bread and butter; Doodle, doodle, come and get a barrel of sugar.

Doodlebug, doodlebug, come up and get a grain of corn.
Your house is burning up.

Doodlebug, doodlebug,
Come out of your hole;
Your house is on fire,
And your children will burn.

Doodlebug, doodlebug, come out of your house;
It’s burning up with your wife and all your children,
Except Mary—she’s under the dishpan.

Doodlebug, doodlebug,
Come out of your hole;
If you don’t,
I’ll beat you black as a mole.

Doodle, doodle, doodle,
Your mother and grand-daddy are dead.

JFC already! I like doodlebugs! More about “antlion” folklore here, and tl;dr the antlion takes some verbal abuse.

3 Likes

Huh, how much were you taught? All I got was ‘doodle bug, doodle bug, fly away home, your house is on fire and your children are alone’

2 Likes

Having this fall under the Delightful Creatures category was a bit dark.

9 Likes

That’s pretty much what I got as well, but I didn’t realize there was so much lore to go along with it. The South Africans seem to me to be especially harsh.

1 Like

I’m eating it right now!

6 Likes

When I was a kid, I had a recurring nightmare.

I was in a vast expanse of what looked like blue/white pinto beans, but being sucked down like the pigeons. If I had known it could be real, in any way, I would have lost my little mind.

15 Likes

And basically, the reason people die from it seems to be a lack of proper care. It’s known to be potentially lethally dangerous to walk on top of large amounts of grain in a silo or even a freestanding heap etc, and people keep doing it. It’s forbidden in industrial facilities but not in small family farms.

5 Likes

I guess that explains the nickname for V-1 flying bombs.

2 Likes

Pigeons in the grain
That is what we are
So much to eat here
How can it be wrong
Sink away with me to another world
And we won’t fly off together, ah-ah
From one pigeon to another, ah-ah

10 Likes

Please don’t take my squab just because you can

3 Likes

eight pigeons in a minute…

Assuming that this is typical rates, you could probably apply some serious selective pressure to NYC’s pigeon population with a few of these things operating.

5 Likes

Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves[1] cry.

5 Likes