šŸ’Š I Don't Like My Drugs (But My Drugs Like Me) šŸ’Š

+1. I get the added benefit of paranoia during the taper off.

1 Like

Yeah while my dad handled it reasonably well when he learned he had arthritis BIG TIME all of a sudden. One of my good friends was taking it for some serious crohnā€™s flareups and he was real touchy for a few hours after taking it. He was good at realizing it was the drugs and only one time I remember him lashing out with before realizing it and he apologized big time right away, His choice at that time was the Prednisone or go back to living off the IV drip at the hospital.

And @Snowlark

Yes, I am well aware of the steroid implications, though it didnā€™t seem to affect me as badly in the short run as other people (actually, not badly at all).
I get the feeling my personal hell would have been winding up with a glass skeleton in 25 yearsā€™ time, when coupled with the omeprazole.

Either way, this is why I wish to find an alternative to that or the amphetamine-like anti-depressants.

2 Likes

@LDoBeā€™s suggestion of modafinil is probably the best place to start. From what Iā€™ve read about, it seems to carry the fewest side effects and its benefits are very transparentā€”that is, it does what it says it does (promote vigilance and to a lesser extent, attention) without a cascade of other effects.

The runner-ups would be the NRIs atomoxetine and reboxetine and the NDRI bupropion.

NRI = norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
NDRI = norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor

ETA: Adrafanil is the prodrug of modafinil. Itā€™s also totally unregulated and freely available for bulk purchase here in the States, making it one of the more popular ā€˜nootropicsā€™. But thereā€™s a reason why itā€™s not FDA-approved: its conversion to modafinil may cause permanent liver damage if used long term.

Clinical trials: theyā€™re the shit.

4 Likes

Yeah, I mixed up Armodafinil (100% levorotary version of Modafinl, while Modafinil is racemic) and Adrafinil (the prodrug.)

Thanks for getting that straight for me.

2 Likes

Haha! I can relate.

I have compared them. They are subjectively similar, but Modafinil takes effect much more quickly and feels ā€œcleanerā€. Adrafinil takes more time to metabolize, its effects beginning and ending more gradually for me. IIRC I needed a greater dose of Adrafinil than Modafinil for similar peak effects. The ā€œOlmifonā€-branded stuff was the best.

That price is fucking insane! I used to pay around $150 for the same amount and dosage.* Is the manufacturer Novartis? There are generic versions of Modafinil also, but they might be kept out of your area to profit somebody else. I have used the Novartis as well as Sunā€™s Modalert 200 and they were comparable.

Poking around now, I found this article which says that the FDA bans Sun imports to the US because ā€œreasonsā€. If they didnā€™t cite pharmacological reasons why I assume itā€™s probably because they undercut American suppliers. The Sun products are priced cheaper for the India market.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sun-pharma-india-fda-idUSBREA2C09S20140313

• ā€¦which illustrates why I advocate ā€œjust saying noā€ to the prescription/insurance racket.
3 Likes

The only Modafinil available in my area is made by Mylan, the original patent holder. There are no generics available even though itā€™s been out of patent for years.

ETA: since Iā€™m properly diagnosed and insured, the $3000/month figure comes down to $15/month.

If I had to pay 3 grand a month for this Iā€™d probably just switch back to ritalin.

1 Like

According to Wackipedia, it was patented by and is still sold by Cephalon, and the Mylan version is a generic copy, which makes the price seem even more outrageous to me.

Well, somebody is still making $2985 for doing nothing off of your suffering. That has very real social consequences.

Fortunately, I gave up on using Modafinil years ago. When I first discovered the stuff I loved it and took advantage of being more easily able to stay awake and work on projects. My job (good riddance) was often 100-120 hours per week, of both heavy physical labor and IT/automation troubleshooting. I was able to get through a shift and get a few hours of sleep with the stuff, but eventually the accumulative effect of the drug and minimal sleep left me feeling strung out even worse than without it. It got to the point that I dreaded taking the stuff because I knew how gross I was going to feel a few days later.

When I moved out of my house about three years ago, I found a few leftover tabs of Adrafinil that I had lost in my room, and used those to help me to push through the last few days of my move. By then I was practicing Tae Kwon Do and the weird focus from the residual Adrafinil was hindering my natural concentration.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. Iā€™ve never had any kind of adverse reaction to, or letdown or withdrawal symptoms from modafinil.

I suppose itā€™s to be expected though for me, since Iā€™ve been on stimulants as far back as my useable memory goes. So whatever side effects are just normal to me.

The longest Iā€™ve stayed up using modafinil was 48 hours. First 24 was a work day, the second I spent wandering around Seattle during PAX. Then I went home and went to bed and slept 14 hours. Woke up feeling like a million bucks. I guess timing is everything, and you gotta pay back the sandman with interest. The last few hours of uptime I was feeling very rundown, but as awake as ever.

2 Likes

How fast it wrecks you will depend on dosage, but prednisone will make you swell up like a toad and turn your skeleton into chalk. A month or two at high dosages will turn you into a confused, immobilized sack of puffy flesh constantly dripping urine.

Itā€™s occasionally worth taking for a brief periodā€¦ if youā€™ll die otherwiseā€¦

6 Likes

Prescription huh? Oh well, ok.

I used to have to take proton pump inhibitors all the time, and this kind of powdered plastic gel because my gut was absorbing water so quickly it made ablutions a crap-shoot. Ahem.

I think there was some kind of feed-back mechanism between the two because, whilst they seemed to eventually stabilise me, it was in a slightly uncomfortably ill place. Still better than the reflux and totally OTT-ridiculous levels of acid production going on in my stomach beforehand. The PPIs meant digestion was slow, energy levels low, I could barely ever finish half a meal at a sitting and had to slowly graze over the course of the rest of the day if I wanted any energy at all.

And this was still better than downing a large bottle of peopto-bismol at lunch and needing more an hour later.

I eventually had to quit the medication, after upping the dosage of the PPI from one a day to four, three times a day and the slow decline of my gut health.

Lettuce and water and regular exercise saved me. Itā€™s probably quite unusual to drink more than 35 glasses of water a day, maybe slightly less so than including lettuce in absolutely every meal but the combination seemed to get the water to the bottom of my gut that I needed, and the lettuce, along with other foods, promoted a more alkaline environment in my stomach (my hatred of cucumber finally overcome). The exercise, which actually seemed to make things much worse at first, eventually seemed to start to draw food through me faster, I was actually hungry again and uh, regular, eating three square meals, not snacking as much.

I was very quickly back to drinking normal amounts of water again, and I should make sure to say, drinking massive quantities of water all the time IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU, but the road ahead was only downhill for me and led to intense, life-changing surgical procedures so I took a chance and luckily managed to break out of whatever feedback mechanism I was caught in.

Whilst I certainly donā€™t promote cleanses, and it wasnā€™t really what I did anyway, diet is so damn important it might as well be a powerful drug.

Also, once upon a time I took all the recreational drugs. Quantity and quality are important. You can overdo anything, and that thing may very well be impure and cut with fuck-knows what.

I just wanted to mention that history because I feel like thereā€™s a connection between the two. Dependence.
A crutch is supposed to be there to help you until you no longer need it. Is it your goal to not need the thing? Is the crutch enabling its own existence?

Some people have to take their drugs for health issues. I consider myself very lucky to have always been in a position where the drugs were there for a temporary purpose, be it fun, or as a method to help my body get back on its own two feet. But realising that the thing that was helping me was also prolonging my ill health (be it at a lower level of ill) was, for me, a very high hurdle to clear.

Good health to you all. And if you canā€™t have that, good drugs and good medical professionals.

8 Likes

Exactly this, with exactly these medications.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 163 days. New replies are no longer allowed.