Pink eye is more than one thing

It could be an auto-immune disorder. I have it, ocular cicatricial pemphigoid. It’s a subset of mucosal cicatricial pemphigoid. The T-cells attack the junction between epidermal and dermal layers.It scars the cornea and blisters the inside of the eyelid, which then adheres to the eyeball. Treatment is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, with the addition of ointments and sterile eye drops.Viewer discretion is advised if you Google for an image.

Pink eye can be contracted by handling one’s contact lenses without first washing the hands.

Not the stink eye?

I think one of the stray dogs scooted across his pillows.

1 Like

Yeah, when I was really young I had a cataract removed/cornea transplant, etc (still can’t see out of the eye)… ever since then, I’ve regularly had ‘pinkeye’ in that eye, just because it seems to have gotten especially sensitive. It’s not contagious, and I barely even notice it aside from a slight itchyness, but when it flares up other people can grow concerned. :P.

Well, there was lots of stink eye leading up to and during the firing.

Just popping in because it’s good to figure out what kind of pinkeye it is. Generally if it is swelling a lot with pus on a small child please try to get it treated even if the drops are hard to administer. I had an infection like that as a small child and ended up in hospital as it was bacterial and ended up turning dangerous. My eye is scarred as a result. Not so badly that it can’t be hidden with makeup but enough that the eye is a different shape, no lashes grow over the scar, and I had to spend some time with a sexy eye patch (if only pirates had been popular then!). Anyway… if your kid has pinkeye keep checking it for signs of a worsening infection and don’t feel like you are being a dumb overworried parent going back to the doctor if it really does seem to get worse instead of better.

Of course. We never had any serious cases in our house, and they always got better despite the less-than-perfect aiming of our eyedropping technique. The nice thing about those bottles of anti-bacterial eyedrops is that they have WAY more than you’ll need for a typical infection, which comes in handy when you’re doing 20 drop attempts to get one that makes it into the eye :slight_smile:

1 Like

Incidentally, sodium sulamyd stings like the very dickens, but it seems to cure most bacterial pinkeye with only one or two applications.

Yes, I just recommended an antibiotic. Do try not to lose your monocle in your drink, Preston.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.