Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967 (Newly Colorized)

Originally published at: Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967 (Newly Colorized) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Humble beginnings? (Then again, they did make it onto the program…)

2 Likes

Wonder if they were forced to lip-sync the performance for the show or where they actually playing? Cause I know on the British shows they would make them lip-sync which must suck for the artisits.

2 Likes

I get a strong “Spinal Tap” vibe. Roger Waters especially looks like he’d rather be singing “Big Bottom.”

4 Likes

Well Richard Wright looks like he’s either having difficulty remembering the lyrics, or difficulty keeping up the charade of lip syncing. I prefer to believe it’s the latter.

ETA: Wikipedia says they were lip syncing.

4 Likes

THE Pink Floyd!

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s any doubt they were lip syncing.

The US tour was around the beginning of Syd’s breakdown, so even if they wanted to play the song live there’s a good chance it wouldn’t sound anything close to the studio recording.

1 Like

It’s especially obvious that they were instrument-syncing: no guitar cables, and we hear the guitar before Syd’s hands touch the strings.

2 Likes

That’s what they were usually called in their early days.

4 Likes

That’s some unenthusiastic miming, I daresay. They look positively thrilled to be there!

3 Likes

Syd was not well at all and the tour ended early.
They were also very disappointed by the “Psychedelic” groups of San Francisco, who they thought were all kind of Rhythm and Blues bands and not psychedelic at all.
I think “Apples & Oranges” was the last song Syd wrote for the band, and the last single they released until about 1980 or so.

2 Likes

Wow. Pre-Dave era. Damn, but I love me some Floyd.

3 Likes

What a shame to cut off the interview part. I’d like to have heard what they said.

2 Likes

I’ve got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It’s got a basket
a bell that rings
and things to make it look good

syd barrett

3 Likes

Prepare to be disappointed:

3 Likes

If my memory is correct, eveyone on American Bandstand had to lip-sync – so it would sound just like the single on the radio.

3 Likes

I’m getting an XTC vibe, when they break into the dreamy “Apples and oranges” chorus

1 Like

Early Pink Floyd was a big influence on XTC

2 Likes

I love Pink Floyd, but watching this I feel like George Carlin at the end of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure: “They get better.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.