Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon turns 48 today

best enjoyed together with “Dark Side of the Spoon”

2 Likes

DSotM is just… sublime. When the first chords of “Breathe” come on after “Speak to Me”, right away, it’s just like nothing else out there, at the time, or since.

I love this quote by Roger Waters:

When the record was finished I took a reel-to-reel copy home with me and I remember playing it for my wife then, and I remember her bursting into tears when it was finished. And I thought, “This has obviously struck a chord somewhere”, and I was kinda pleased by that. You know when you’ve done something, certainly if you create a piece of music, you then hear it with fresh ears when you play it for somebody else. And at that point I thought to myself, “Wow, this is a pretty complete piece of work”, and I had every confidence that people would respond to it.

Maybe because it’s the music of my youth, what I listened to when I first really started to wake up to all the incredible stuff out there - it somehow gets burned into your psyche and can’t be replaced by anything - but I think it’s an incredible album.

11 Likes

I’m an Animals kind of guy myself. “Ha ha charade you are…”

7 Likes

I agree with that disagreement, all the way.

P.S. I got this for my birthday [tomorrow wink wink] on March 2, 1973. I played it till the dark side of the moon was visible. My Dear Wife gifted me the new remastered 180 gram pressing, but I’m not supposed to know that until tomorrow…

15 Likes

The listing of Floyd albums is always subjective, usually based on what hasn’t been played out yet for the listener, and Dark Side will always be on a disadvantage on that front… but there will always be a special place in my heart for Dark Side, as it was the album that taught me what every single music teacher in my life couldn’t, and it will always be in my top 3 because of that. Without Dark Side, I’d never really know what good composition is, I don’t think.

4 Likes

Animals was actually my first introduction to Pink Floyd, and I still really like it, especially Dogs. It’s another intro that just sounds so different from anything else.

I also remember at that time watching WKRP in Cincinnati and there’s a scene with Johnny Fever playing the part with the slow guitar solo in the middle and dogs barking…

5 Likes

“wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream…”

IMO there is no better Waters poetry than in Animals. The Final Cut has some… … really good work, but Animals is ahead by a wide margin.

3 Likes

One of the few LPs I managed to digitize… it was worth the effort.

2 Likes

I believe it was “quardrophonic” sound at that time, not “surround sound.”

Awesome story though.

3 Likes

No love for the early days? :worried:

6 Likes

JSYK, “The Greatest Generation” were the ones that banned acid, Boomers were the ones that took it in their teens & 20’s and didn’t fight back when it got banned.

2 Likes

Interstellar Overdrive was… well, beyond description.

4 Likes
1 Like

Obscured by clouds is amazing.

2 Likes

It’s hard for me to have one favorite Pink Floyd album, but I really like Animals, too.

3 Likes

I was playing that one last week!

4 Likes

I hear a lot of people trying to describe the vocal solo in Great Gig in the Sky as trying to convey a religious experience, but a light bulb really went on in my pubescent mind (back in the late 70s) when a friend was convinced “it’s a woman having an orgasm”.

4 Likes

That’s how I’ve always thought of it.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, it’s great. If I never hear another song off that album (or by that band) again my life will be that much greater. There’s nothing worse than scanning through radio stations only to get Money or fucking Time stuck in your head for a week because you listened to your old man’s records too much in high school back when you thought incense covered up the smell of Mexican ditch weed.

That said I can still listen to Slanted & Enchanted or Daydream Nation like every day for two decades and still be fine.

1 Like

My neighbor and friend’s parents left him at home for a long trip during the summer between my junior and senior year in high school. His house became the place to be that summer and we all learned how to clean the seeds out of the cheap pot we were able to get. For a while we tried to use a device that shoved tobacco into a pre-made empty cigarette. They even had filters. That didn’t work so well with pot because its too stiff when dry, but we tried. Lots of smoking, drinking and virginity losing went on. Dark Side of The Moon was on the turntable for the whole summer. When his parents returned and figured out what had been going on it was the end of innocence for our neighborhood. Things never were the same. I can’t listen to DSotM without all that coming back to me. 1973.

4 Likes