Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon turns 48 today

Surround sound is correct as a generic term and especially for the multichannel system Pink Floyd deployed (they had more than 4 channels of speakers arrayed around the perimeter of the seating); quadrophonic isn’t a proper descriptive name as quadraphonic and quadrasonic are, both indicating 4-channel sound. :innocent:

3 Likes

Happy Birthday, today!

3 Likes

Quadrophenia: another great album. We used to sneak out to the midnight movies to see this, when I was 13. Depressingly great stuff.

4 Likes

Very overlooked but a great album.

1 Like

Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon turns 48 today

or: OMG You’re so old, lolz…

4 Likes

(Raises hand)

Dark Side came out before I was three; by the time I was a teenager I’d heard “Money” over and over on the radio. And The Wall came out when I was in 4th grade so I heard (parts of) that one even more. Right after I got to college, I heard more of Dark Side through what I guess is the usual method, and finally saw The Wall in its entirety.

But, yeah, after that I worked my way backwards, and then went for the early stuff more often.

2 Likes

It kinda already was?

In High School we had a stereotypical “bad cop” vice-principal. Quiet, fair, and utterly not the right guy to get on the wrong side of. I lived teetering on the brink.

One day he paused in front of me, so I stopped and straightened up and waited to be told what I’d done wrong this time. He looked over my jacket button collection, which had several from Pink Floyd. In his cool crisp British accent he said “I only have classical music in my collection at home. Except Pink Floyd. Excellent choices you have there.” Then he carried on.

7 Likes

guy I worked with collected all the number 1 singles for like over twenty years …said he did not like the title…

…in fact it’s not the dark side but the other side of the moon… the side we don’t see

Arnold Layne is 54. Yarrr…play THAT loud.

6 Likes

Happy Birthday to you
Squashed tomatoes and stew
You look like a monkey
And you smell like one too.

Enjoy the nostalgia trip listening to your new remastered DSoTM pressing. :wink:

7 Likes

8 days before I was born, at the very same year.

3 Likes

Back when people bought ‘real’ stereo systems (instead of bluetooth speakers) I felt that DSOTM should be given to them just because.

2 Likes

And another fun fact, Pink Floyd worked on “Piper at the Gates of Dawn” at Abbey Road Studios, in the room next door to the Beatles while they worked on Sgt. Peppers. It’s hard for me to think of those albums as contemporaries–“Piper” always seemed to me to be a bit later than Sgt. Peppers.

8 Likes
3 Likes

If I were to rub a magic lamp, and a genie came out and offered me like a hundred wishes (so a few of them could be frivolous)… I would absolutely love to hear this album again for the first time. Like, it was always around when I was a kid, so I’ve always appreciated it but I never had that experience of putting the needle down for the first time and taking it all in fresh.

3 Likes

Be careful what you wish for.

3 Likes

Irish comedian Dave Allen used to tell a joke about an Irishman who found an ornately carved brass vessel on a beach. As he rubbed the sand from it a Genie appeared and thanking him profusely for freeing him from an eternity in the bottle and granted him 3 wishes. “What would please you?” he said. “I’ll have a bottle of Guiness that never empties”. No sooner said, the Genie produced a bottle of Guiness. The Irishman gulped it down in one draught and licked his lips as he watched its level go from empty to full. “You have 2 more wishes affendi”, said the Genie. “I’ll have two more like this”, said the Irishman.

5 Likes

Mr. Carlson: “…do i hear dogs barking?”
Johnny: shrugs “i do…”

5 Likes

Happy birthday, Papasan! :birthday: Enjoy the dark side of the moon. I shall play mine and think of you on this fine day.

6 Likes

Man, it’s like every year is getting shorter…

6 Likes