Pink Floyd's Roger Waters calls Biden a "war criminal" and says "Taiwan is part of China"

People are allowed to have opinions. That includes famous people, and that includes wrong opinions.

4 Likes

No. And you should call your dear old mother more often.

12 Likes

I hadn’t seen this, but, ugh. Well, alright the.

Part of it is often a failure to understand exactly how many things are political. I love what the Doubleclicks said in their song “Sensitive Badass:”

Don’t tell me to calm down, don’t tell me it will pass
I am still sensitive, I am a badass
I am sensitive, I am a badass
If you haven’t yet realized that we are political,
you haven’t listened so we will start yelling
I often want to just burn down the world,
sometimes I’m an anarchist, sometimes I’m a pacifist

7 Likes

At some point the CCP has to be embarrassed that this guy believed their United Front stuff, right? [Realizes that’s a Muddy Waters take. Is embarrassed.]

5 Likes

Very very odd to hear him talk about Biden as a war criminal for “fueling” the war in Ukraine. It seems to me there is a more proximate cause for the war… Maybe Russia invading? Nope! The invasion is just the “logical” conclusion of prior events.

It’s breathtaking how casually he dismisses the ongoing atrocity Russia is committing: “Any war… where did it start? This war is about NATO pushing right up [to Russia.]” It reminds one of:

“Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who…”

EDIT: One is tempted to think he’s an outright fascist (for his pro-China, pro-Russia statements). But he’s not, given that he’s voiced anti-Trump sentiments before. It appears he’s just a muddle-brained dilettante who plays guitar. He’s profoundly confused, lacks the critical reason skills to make judicious decisions, and is easily swayed by pathetically transparent state propaganda. (If anything he is pro-Communist; his pro-Russia stance is the result of lingering affection for the USSR.)

4 Likes

Additionally it’s often a position held by people with massive amounts of unearned privilege; it’s easy to not give a damn when the problems of society never affect them directly.

15 Likes

Very Stable Genius.

Yes. It reminds me a lot of the position white people took when Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the National Anthem. They said they didn’t want athletes to “ruin the game” for them by making it political.

Ok, when would it be convenient for me to express myself politically? Can I come over to your house on Tuesday at noon? No? Then I’m going to continue to use my platform to speak my truth. Have a nice day.

17 Likes

I knew we could count on you to muddy the waters!

:clap:

3 Likes

Money, money. He’s clearly gone to the dark side…

3 Likes

Disappointed is boing boing bbs. I don’t think there’s a spreadsheet for that.

Taiwan is not part of china, and Ukraine is not part of Russia. Totalitarian regimes are never a good thing. Rogers is not right, and Pink Floyd is still performing? … Whaaa?

le Sigh

2 Likes

Can’t, she’ll make all my nightmares come true.

It sounds like you enjoy a healthy, adult relationship.

7 Likes

There is, however, a list

That said, you are right;

Taiwan is its’ own sovereign nation and Ukraine does not belong to Russia.

12 Likes

Not really. Keeps nosing into all my girlfriends personal lives. Stays up late to make sure I get home. Honestly, I’m feeling like she’s built a wall around me.

You can bet that they really want the TSMC chip fabs to be undamaged; you can also bet that there’s a plan in place to destroy the facilities by either TSMC or the US military to deny the PRC the capability of making their own cutting edge chips by a simple act of conquest.
I’m certain the TSMC fab being built in Arizona is a hedge against exactly this potential loss.

5 Likes

Lather was thirty years old today
And Lather came foam from his tongue
He looked at me eyes wide and plainly said
Is it true that I’m no longer young?

7 Likes

Hmm. I know that there have been protest songs for centuries. Creative spirit for art and music are conveniently at hand to humans, while other outlets or resources can be out of reach.

2 Likes

I was always a Waters fan myself, but during the lockdown both Waters and Gilmore started posting lots of videos. Waters about how much of a dick Gilmore was, and Gilmore… lovely entertaining songs with his family to cheer people up and give them a beautiful moment in their day.

17 Likes