Facebook asked Pink Floyd's Roger Waters for "Another Brick in the Wall II" to promote Instagram. He told Zuckerberg "Fuck you."

Originally published at: Facebook asked Pink Floyd's Roger Waters for "Another Brick in the Wall II" to promote Instagram. He told Zuckerberg "Fuck you." | Boing Boing

13 Likes

It’s the insidious movement of them to take over absolutely everything you know. So those of us who do have any power, and I do have a little bit in terms of the control of the publishing of my songs I do anyways, so I will not be a party to this bullshit, Zuckerberg.

That goes for all of us. #deletefacebook (and Instagram, and Whatsapp, and Oculus, and whatever that dead-eyed creep buys up next).

28 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how the song could be used to promote instagram.

9 Likes

Ironically?

10 Likes

And there is their achilles heel –– they expect everybody to fold to the temptation of money like they have. Fuck them and their money.

21 Likes

Waters once wrote an album inspired by Neil Postman’s “Amusing Ourselves To Death” and they thought he’d shill for Instagram? This might be the most egregious missing-the-point moment in classic rock since Reagan used “Born In The U.S.A.” as a campaign song.

23 Likes

I enjoyed that, but in the end, the joke here isn’t on Zuckerberg, it’s on us. Zuckerberg has his crown; we’re the snivelling worms who won’t take it away from him.

6 Likes

He told Zuckerberg “Fuck you.”

download-1

12 Likes

Mr. Waters, your music is realllly resonating with Gen Z who see right through Instagram filters… We need to remind them that they’re still insignificant with your lyricism.

5 Likes

It’s like the 2012 Olympics’ use of “London Calling”; did your marketing people listen to the lyrics?

9 Likes

So uh why did you call him an “anti-Semite” when the google search you linked clearly shows that the accusations stem from him encouraging a boycott of Israel’s apartheid?

Another brick in the wall, indeed.

20 Likes

That was a bit confusing to me too. I don’t see how that accusation fits in with the article’s topic. Is it because Zuk is jewish? I don’t think you have to be anti Jewish to hate what that guy is doing. I must be missing something.

15 Likes

this is difficult for me to believe

2 Likes

While I do not discriminate against anyone for inherent conditions such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, neural type, etc., I would most certainly discriminate against someone based on an unethical, destructive corporate entity they created. Unlike most tech companies, Facebook has no useful pieces that could be preserved by breaking it apart. Facebook is a catastrophic net negative on society and should be terminated with all the speed and prejudice that the legal system can bring to bear on it.

3 Likes

I think its because Zuckerberg is Jewish, and because Waters has been a vocal activist for Palestinian rights. Organizations like ADL often lob accusations of antisemitism against anyone who criticizes the state of Israel as a way to deflect and silence any discussion about the ethnic cleansing campaign against the Palestinians, which is funded by US taxes.

I am disappointed that Mark Frauenfelder is amplifying that misinformation, and I hope he realizes how hurtful it is to the people who want to see peace prevail, for all.

26 Likes

Waters is quite the well-informed thinker on architectures of oppression. There is speculation that the “secret message” in The Division Bell had to do with Norbert Wiener’s critique of cybernetics and society - specifically due to similarity with the cover image his “The Human Use of Human Beings” (1950) - which essentially foretold many of the abuses and manipulations that monopolies on mass surveillance coupled with highly responsive adaptive feedback would unleash on the world.

2 Likes

Waters wasn’t in Pink Floyd when they made The Divison Bell.

9 Likes

oh - good point, I had forgotten about that. The connection is speculative anyways - so who knows what specific influence might be there. Any (however tenuous) link back to Wiener’s warnings is warranted in a discussion about Facebook, I would think.

3 Likes

Roger does have his flaws -support of Assange and his frustrating resistance to reunite with Gilmour & Mason- but he isn’t for sale… good for him.

7 Likes

Fairly predictable response, for anyone that knows what RW’s about.
And I don’t think he’s being anti-Semitic.

8 Likes