Facebook asked Pink Floyd's Roger Waters for "Another Brick in the Wall II" to promote Instagram. He told Zuckerberg "Fuck you."

To be a little more specific, Roger Waters is one of the public faces for the pro-Palestinian movement Boycott Divestiture Sanctions (BDS). Some think that BDS is automatically anti-Semitic (which I most certainly don’t), so there’s been anti-BDS legislature passed in some states.

15 Likes

What’s wrong with supporting the right of a publisher to publish material that exposes nefarious, murderous doings by governments and rheir minions?

(I don’t think Waters supports Assange the person; he instead rails against the threat to honest, important journalism posed by US efforts to punish Assange for exposing its war crimes.)

10 Likes

On the other hand, some people think that Julian Assange, a former host at the Russian propaganda channel RT, is a Russian asset that helped Trump get into office.

4 Likes

Some think that anti-BDS legislation is racist.

8 Likes

the core sentiment of this song is still so prevalent and necessary today

The song’s sentiment is prevalent?

WTF? I’m pretty sure they meant relevant but being a Zuckerberg tool they really have the comprehension and language skills of an amoeba.

3 Likes

Opposing the Zionist occupation of Palestine and supporting Palestine is no more antisemitic than supporting Tibetan freedom or Taiwanese sovereignty is Sinophobic.

The Star of David on a giant pig balloon at one of his concerts was tone-deaf at best and antisemitic even if unintentionally.

Blaming Israel, even indirectly, for the murder of George Floyd buys into antisemetic conspiracy theories and, although he apologized, I think it’s possible he buys into antisemetic conspiracy theories.

Unfortunately, most of his critics seem to regard his support of BDS as the most antisemitic thing he’s done, when there’s nothing racist about protesting a government’s conduct.

Also, unfuck Zuck.

15 Likes

Add Canned Heat’s “Going Up The Country” being used as a car insurance jingle. Of course, they don’t want the whole song, just convenient sound bites. The inconvenient lyrics get left out, for some reason.

7 Likes

Dark sarcasm.

10 Likes

In the classroom. And beyond! :scream:

7 Likes

An idiot on a now-kaput European blogging site threatened to send the ADL an anti-scheißberg post I’d imported from tumblr. My sole contribution to the post was this comment: “Once again, more scheißberg than zuckerberg.” fb had once again done something horrid to its users, and marky (or a staff member) had provided yet another nopology, hence my comment.

I didn’t bother asking her what being anti-capitalist, anti-faceschnook, and disliking the actions of fb’s owner had to do with anti-semitism. I couldn’t possibly care less about his imaginary sky friend (if any), but I do care about assholes fucking up our world.

1 Like

Part of the problem though is “network effect”. When the value of being connected through a network outweighs the negative aspects of it. Hopefully humans will get smarter about this in the future, but there are networks where not being involved in them almost equates to not participating in society,

(I have been in the fuck facebook camp since the “real name policy” came into effect, but yay us, I guess?)

3 Likes

My disdain for fecesbook goes back a bit further.

10 Likes

Oh, the origins of why facebook was facebook are horrendous. I wasn’t aware of them when I signed up. The idea that it emerged out of determining who on campus was “hot or not” is appalling.

6 Likes

Or like Microsoft’s use of the Rolling Stones’ Start me up as the anthem for Windows 95. This is the song that goes on to say “You make a grown man cry”.

9 Likes

I 'm going, I’m going
Where the water tastes like wine
I’m going
Where the water tastes like wine
So we can jump in the water
Stay drunk all the time

auto insurance, eh?

4 Likes

Wow flashback time. When I signed up for facebook they would Hoover up all your contacts from your PC’s address book and then email everyone saying so and so is inviting you to facebook. There was a hidden checkbox somewhere to stop it that I found.

The very first contact I had was seeing them boldly stealing my friends data.

Anyway back to Waters. I hope he really owns the rights to his stuff. Many artists were disappointed that they couldn’t stop Trump from abusing their music.

3 Likes

Ford used a remade version of Laurie Anderson’s “bright red” about a child being abducted in a car, to advertise it’s small family car, the Ka. “Get into the car” in creepy whispered voices over synth pads.

Scum.

I mean obviously they didn’t ask her.

6 Likes

Calling anti semite every person who call against Israel starts to be really annoying. He said that what Israel is doing with Palestinians is like what Nazi Germany was doing with the Jews. What is wrong with saying that ? How does this involve the hatred of the Jews ? And even if it’s a comparison that you can disagree with, remember Sabra and Chatila ? That can stand the comparison Sabra and Shatila massacre - Wikipedia. And there’s so many example.
Dammit, you were able to make me took defence of Roger Waters, shame on you !

1 Like

Easy, animation of vapid instagram shots building a wall, zoom out, BOOM, it’s a collage of Zuckerberg’s mug. Play song. High fives all around the ad agency for the delicious irony.

I never signed up for it because I knew early on the Zuckerberg was bad news and that he had complete control over the company. I had no objection to the concept itself – I’d messed around with FOAF – but knew that his implementetation would reflect his contempt for the vast majority of humans.

An Internet user can’t escape becoming a part of some on-line social network these days, but I try to at least even out the cost-benefit calculation when it comes to the value it delivers to me. There’s never going to be a chance of that with anything that’s controlled by Zuck.

5 Likes