Pink goop in Chicken McNuggets?

…and addictive. That’s really the most important variable IMO.

I struggle with sugar. Once you decide to cut down on it, you start to realize a) how many places it’s hiding and b) just how hard it really is to kick. I’ve never managed to kick it entirely, partly because doing so would make eating a logistical nightmare, but even just scaling way back can lead to really intense cravings in the short term.

It’s not unlike giving up caffeine. And when you’ve been on a reduced-sugar regimen for a while, an occasional binge feels o-so-good when you’re doing it, and suspiciously similar to a booze hangover the next morning.

1 Like

He’s not suggesting “pink slime” or mechanically separated chicken aren’t real. He’s pointing out that the image in question does not depict either of those things. And that was well known at the point(s) where Mark (and everyone else in the world) posted it claiming that it was an image of pink slime or mechanically separated chicken.

Its a very well known hoax image (in that it does not depict what it claims to depict), and 30 seconds of googling would reveal that to anyone in the habit of checking up sensational claims. What the image is actually of noone seems to know. Its vanishingly unlikely that its a meat product of any kind. And as you can see from the McDonald’s video, bears very little similarity to ground chicken (or beef for that matter) of any sort. That’s been known for a long time. Its definitely neither pink slime nor MSC. As far as I’m aware (haven’t looked in a while), noones every come up with a definitive source for the image, or confirmation of what it is.

If anyone has run across a good breakdown on this images history and actual source I’d be interested to see it. Most critical appraisals (including Snopes) seem to limit themselves to a rational explanation of processed meat products, and don’t comment on the image itself.

2 Likes

He’s not suggesting “pink slime” or mechanically separated chicken aren’t real. He’s pointing out that the image in question does not depict either of those things.

Right, and that’s exactly what I addressed. He’s implying the photo doesn’t depict pink slime. But, it is pink slime. It wasn’t a picture of it in the process of being packaged, it was slime being emptied into a container to display it.

And that was well known at the point(s) where Mark (and everyone else in the world) posted it claiming that it was an image of pink slime or mechanically separated chicken.

That’s incorrect. It was pink slime from a meat production plant in China. McDonald’s has even acknowledged it. It wasn’t a fake picture of pink slime. It just wasn’t from a specific production plant that McDonald’s has used. No fakery involved.

Its a very well known hoax image (in that it does not depict what it claims to depict) … What the image is actually of noone seems to know. Its vanishingly unlikely that its a meat product of any kind.

That’s incorrect, it wasn’t a hoax. It was pink slime from a meat production plant in China. McDonald’s has even acknowledged it.

And as you can see from the McDonald’s video, bears very little similarity to ground chicken (or beef for that matter) of any sort.

The mush in the McDonald’s video isn’t what’s called pink slime. I already addressed this in my previous post here in this thread.

1 Like

Instead, they put the beef in the french fry itself.

Sauce?

2 Likes

Did some clean up in here and issued a break to @peter_jones905
Stay on topic and don’t be a sexist.

Well, when you do it, or say the Native Americans, you are congratulated on your resourcefulness and not wasting food. When corporations do it, it’s a matter of greed.

Nothing goes to waste.

Meat is not thrown away and wasted because we don’t use pink slime, etc. Unfortunately, that’s just industry talking points that’ve been spread around by the media. The meat isn’t wasted when we do away with pink slime, etc. - It just has less profitable uses for industry.

1 Like

McDonald’s was interviewed about it, use a search engine if you’re so inclined to taste the sauce.

It is refreshing that the video doesn’t have a jaunty soundtrack in the background. (On that note, I’d love to know the name of the background music from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX4x9GtpbiA .)

I kind of miss the old-fashioned McNuggets of my youth, actually. I don’t know what unspeakable process it was subjected to, but the result was a sort of crispy texture that’s lacking from the current product – which pretty much just tastes like the same chicken I can get anywhere.

Also, it’s surprising to learn that the shapes aren’t random. Were they random back in the old days? Is the decision to not stick with uniform ovals part of a desire to maintain the perception of randomness? I have to think that if they had uniform shapes back in the old days, they would have created a wacky cartoon character for each one of them.

I found this video to be extremely offensive. I mean really, who the hell pronounces “process” with a long o? Freaking Canadians.

In all seriousness, OMFG THE SHAPES HAVE NAMES?!?!?!?! And here I thought that all of these years I was hallucinating the fact that there were only a handful of shapes that all McNuggets adhere to! Well not really, it was obviously “a thing,” but OMFG THEY HAVE NAMES?!?!?!

And finally. You know what? I haven’t eaten a McNugget in years, but, well, they actually seem quite a bit less scary after watching this. I’m just going to conveniently forget about the conditions those chickens were in before they somehow magically became lifeless lumps of luscious meaty goodness.

3 Likes

Yeah, bone and dark meat. Also, you’re not really emulsifying with a home grinder.

But isn’t that a lovely shade of pink?

Jamie Oliver made a video demonstration of the chicken waste reuse principle. Kids didn’t mind the source or the process, but thats how they have been trained I guess.

In other thoughts, a corporate video shows, whatever the corporate heads wish to show.

People who think the pink slime photo was a hoax should also note that it very much looks like the photo of the industrial pink slime that’s been shared before:

Kids didn’t mind the source or the process, but thats how they have been trained I guess.

Ha, I ate chicken nuggets even after I knew it was pink slime. I love them with honey. I just sure as hell wouldn’t make it my staple diet or have my kids eat it regularly (or any other fast food, for that matter).

People who speak English.

2 Likes

I didn’t. Honey?! Interesting mix, but I prefer my honey in my yogurt.

Citations or it didn’t happen. It’s your argument, you prove it.

I did Google it. I found one reference to it in “cafemom.com”. If that’s your sauce as well, then your standard of evidence is pretty low.

But I honestly thought you had a real reference (since you cited so many other things). That’s why I was asking.

Very old source data (1973), but a fun link, anyway: 10 foods with more ammonia than pink slime

Anyone else get a lot of pleasure out of “the ball, the bell, the boot and the bow-tie”?