Pioneering news anchor Barbara Walters dead at 93

Originally published at: Pioneering news anchor Barbara Walters dead at 93 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Well, 2022 is cleaning house up to the last day. I remember her being a main fixture on 60 Minutes, but mostly for Gilda Radner parodying her.

10 Likes

Any pioneering work she accomplished as a woman in journalism was overshadowed by her palling around with some of the worst people in modern history – Kissinger , the Assads, and Roy Cohn* (for whom she was a long time beard).

friendly yet persistent interviewing technique brought her fame

While she never reached the bootlicking lows of Larry “Softball” King, by the mid-80s her Oscar night celebrity interviews were so inane that as a teenager I asked myself “why am I wasting my time with this?”

[* the only reason she turned on von Clownstick was that he instantly betrayed his dark mentor when it became clear the latter had AIDS.]

7 Likes

Here she is exposing Trump as a terrible businessman, terrible father, notorious philanderer and Hitler-admiring asshole back in 1990.

15 Likes

See my comment above. It was a good takedown, but before he distanced himself from Roy Cohn all three were buddy-buddy.

7 Likes

I remain ambivalent. Old paedo excuser, dead. Did some good things. Also, shitty things. Death collects.

6 Likes
5 Likes

And yet, Kissenger still Lives On.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.