Pittsburgh's first new distillery since prohibition

For a while, Cape Breton, where the Glenora distillery is, boasted more fluent Gaelic speakers than Scotland did. If you’re having breakfast in a restaurant on a Saturday mornings in Sydney, you’ll find that half of the kids are dressed up in tartans and ghillies - they’ll be going off to step dancing school later. For the other half, it’ll be fiddle school. Or hockey practice.

I visited Scotland years ago, and the visit included a distillery. The pace of life at that distillery was more like that in eastern Nova Scotia than in downtown Pittsburgh. If you’re ever in Glenville NS, the distillery ‘complex’ is a stunning sight, rising out of the hills and trees. It’s surprisingly beautiful, like so much of the landscape in Cape Breton.

Glenora is just a dozen or so clicks north and east of the Red Shoe Pub, where, I’m quite, quite sure, some of the Glenora staff have had a pint or two. And probably done a little stepping or played the fiddle.

Nope, this place (the region and the distillery) are the real thing.

1 Like

Ok, fair enough. I didn’t know much about the area, it’s true. Thanks for the description.

I guess I still like brick distilleries, but who knows, perhaps that’s just because I romanticize the industrial age more. But perhaps if I lived somewhere where people played the fiddle as they sipped their pints and brewed, I’d enjoy that as well.

I bought two bottles from Dancing Pines last Christmas. One was their bourbon and the other is the chai liquor, which still sits on the pantry floor. I plan to open it up in the next few weeks.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.