Pixar's Coco

Not only is it still culturally relevant, but it’s still eye-poppingly bonkers even by 2017 standards.

1 Like

To me that’s most of the charm. The short is a trip in more than one way and it’s incomprehensibly weird yet a ton of fun. That short has more personality than what other properties could ever hope for. The music in Thee Caballeros is just as great, and i kind of wish Disney would do more with the characters but at this point they’re kind of on the wayside.

1 Like

That’s the most surprising thing for me. I loved the cartoon as a kid and i’ve since rewatched it a few times as an adult and i keep expecting it to not be as good as i remember it (spoiler: i find it to be better than what i recalled)

Let me amend that:

Managed not to cry by swallowing and breathing hard and gripping the hand rests and trying really hard not to because I didn’t want to look like a wimp with teenagers near by especially because I didn’t have a handkerchief to clean up afterward.

2 Likes

Oh, you guys had me convinced to go see it, right up until then.

I don’t need another Up or Outside In.   Can Disney please make a decent happy movie again?

Not much i can say to counter that, though i found Up to be more upsetting (especially toward the beginning) . And i found Inside Out to be more dramatic and emotionally charged (because that’s how teenagers and their emotions are). Coco i found very touching, and it being a movie about Hispanic families and that being my background it hit me particularly hard. But at this point i’m pretty convinced it’s my favorite Pixar movie ever.

2 Likes

“CoCo” isn’t a “cry because you’re sad” movie. More like “Toy Story 3”, where the sheer beauty of the resolution mixes with feeling of nostalgia.

It has a happy ending.

3 Likes

I found Up and Coco to be two of the more joyful animated films from Pixar. And there’s nothing remotely sad about the time I cried in Coco. Tears of joy are not to be avoided.

2 Likes

Both were joyous celebrations of life and love in the face of inescapable mortality. No easy feat to pull off in a family movie.

3 Likes

Which, interestingly, can be said of the director of Coco’s previous movie, Toy Story 3, as well. Making an audience truly care about the mortality of toys and utterly cry their eyes out at its conclusion was a masterstroke.

I saw things in Up when I watched it after my father died. Like, I literally didn’t remember when Carl turned the last filled-out page of the scrap book and saw the “keep having adventures” note from his wife.

Keep living. Move on. Enjoy yourself.

The feisty old bastard rises to the occasion. My sister made my widowed mother watch Up too.

I love this thread:

2 Likes

The sheer perfection of that last scene. A total surprise, and yet a totally logical and satisfactory solution. Andy has passed on not only his toys, but their stories. He can leave them behind with no regrets.

And the pan up to the clouds as he leaves behind his home town, and childhood. Brilliant.

2 Likes

I found Toy Story 3 to be more about nostalgia and letting go of the things you’ve outgrown. While it ends on a hopeful note i found the movie and the series to be more sad when compared to Coco. Despite Coco revolving around death it seemed more celebratory than anything, connecting with your past but also connecting with the family you have in your current life and the movie is just so damn joyful it’s infectious. I’ve had several songs stuck in my head for the last week or so.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.