Pizza reheatable in skillet, sources say

Why would someone be against a toaster oven?! It makes no sense.

6 Likes

If all of your kitchen appliances are on one circuit breaker, you’d know.

I once lived in an apartment with 6 circuit breakers: 1 for the two bathroom sconces and single outlet, 1 for the ceiling light and then another for the double outlet in the bedroom, ditto for the living room, and the last circuit breaker covered every light, every outlet, and every appliance in the kitchen and pantry, including the refrigerator and the (stacked, illegal) washer/dryer setup in the pantry.

Fucking electricity, how does it work?

2 Likes

Heresy! Reheat pizza? Next you’ll want me to eat it with a fork and knife!

Fridge pizza is the best pizza.

1 Like

This sounds like a good method in a pinch. But I have to say that the the ‘Presto Pizzaz Pizza Oven’ is by far the best thing for leftover pizza. 6 minutes and it tastes just like it got freshly delivered all over again.

Skillets, ovens, toaster ovens? Sounds far too time consuming. A 1.5 minute burst in the microwave with a damp paper towel covering it usually gives me reheated pizza that’s almost like it was delivered. Of course, I also don’t usually go for “crispy” crust either - the paper towel’s there to keep a bread-like crust from becoming rock-hard.

I recall Phyllis Diller going on record as enjoying cold, leftover pizza. I wish I could find the article (for context, which would make this funnier) but it was 15 or 16 years ago…

That’s not grilled cheese, as my son points out every time I try and make it this way.

1 Like

Maybe because of nostalgia of a younger you, in high school or college ?

I saw another technique on Food Wishes recently, using aluminium foil to cover it.

This is knowledge that everyone has to know.

In this case, poorly.

1 Like

Grilled cheese in the toaster oven?! You sir are a genius. I know what i’m eating for dinner.

2 Likes

Pizza?

1 Like

This is entirely correct. Toaster ovens can suck it.

Let me grab a fork…no, not to eat it with…I’m not a Communist.

snort

This would be more obvious to most people if they understood how pizzas cook in a basic pizza oven.

It’s the hot stone…the gas is underneath the stone and heats it up. Thus for reheating already-cooked pizza, a frying pan is a decent stand-in.

Wood- or coal-fired ovens are different in some respects since there is more convection going on.

“I get my heat from a different source.” -Scottie McBonnet

I am a chef, as well as a food scientist, and can confirm that is will work.

1 Like

If it’s good enough for the mayor of NYC…

I employ a hybrid method. I put a skillet on the range on it’s highest setting. Then I put the slices in the microwave on high for up to a minute. You just want to soften up the cheese and stuff but not make the dough chewy. When the pizza comes out of the microwave I drop it on the hot skillet. Another minute later and I have hot, crispy pizza. I almost prefer it to the fresh it’s so good.

Thankfully my son isn’t old enough to know the difference… YET. It’s only a matter of time though.