Pizzeria owner paints thick blue line on street after customers get unfair $150 parking tickets

That seems a weird hill to die on but I get it, I have such hills myself

3 Likes

I usually refer to the system of weird hills I am willing to die on as my hillage.

20 Likes

Having more than 2 or so disabled spaces together seems like a waste on a street. Spread them out to reduce walking needed since they are usually empty. Maybe put some across the street so they can get pizza without crossing the street :grin:

3 Likes

I do want to note that those types of signs - the ones indicating that “this restriction is enforced from this point back to the next sign you see” - are NOT common outside of cities, and not even commonly used within all cities. For people who are visiting the city, they may not understand that convention.

Expecting people to understand uncommon signage (did I use it right? Oh god, I hoped I used it right) is a faulty premise. The signage should be set up in a way so there’s never any confusion, and indeed the blue paint makes it absolutely, crystal clear that those are all handicapped spots far better than that one sign does. Blue is (in the United States) a universal message for a handicapped/reserved spot and used pretty much everywhere I’ve been, if not in every single reserved spot.

21 Likes

At least in San Francisco, a curb painting has to have a city stencil logo or else it is not enforceable. Many businesses and residents paint their curbs illegally.

I could see how the nonprofessional paint job could weaken the perceived authority of the official curb paint.

1 Like

It is part of the ISO signage guidance ISO 7001 and the International Symbol of Access.

9 Likes

It might be worth thinking about why they have them there, rather than assuming it is without reason. The rest of the building housing pizzeria is a parking garage and a public library is across the street.

4 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t know for sure and didn’t want to misrepresent it’s usage outside my experiences.

3 Likes

This. In NC you might only see this in downtown areas of the major cities. I don’t park downtown more than a few times a year. I think it’s rather foolish (depending on the city) to expect everyone to know that this one sign represents these 4 parking spaces. I wouldn’t have necessarily been looking for a sign about the space I’m parking in that’s now 3 cars down. Also on street view there is no curb markings for any of it or designation (or curb marking) for that fire hydrant either.

7 Likes

One time in NYC I couldn’t make sense of some signs. I asked the person who was literally, right then, on another part of that block, writing parking tickets, if I could park in that spot at that time, and they claimed not to know.

Let’s just say from then on I’ve always assumed signs about free parking rules are designed to maximize ticket writing opportunities.

10 Likes

Painting the street is a fine DIY solution to parking signage issues. He could have just painted the curb blue, though.
I have a friend in Tucson who has done similar improvements to the streets in her neighborhood. She tells me that gets away with it because she’s an old grey-haired lady, therefore invisible and presumed incapable of mischief.

9 Likes

Nah, you have it precisely backward.

The sign is fine. No one is complaining that the font is wrong, or the handicapped logo is incorrect. The metal is presumably nice and weather-resistant. It hasn’t been shot through with bullets.

The signage, or system of signs around the specific sidewalk is the (alleged) issue. There could have been more signs, they could have been better placed, there could be a painted curb, etc.

If this were an argument about “use” and “utilize” I’d be right there with you, but in this case I agreeage with others that signage is correctage.

7 Likes

19 Likes

Its a feature not a bug. The revenue generated by parking tickets is a reliable part of the city budget. They dont like it when you put money in the meter for a stranger, that 25cents is nothing compared to the $30-50 they could have generated with a ticket. The trick is to not be obvious about it.

8 Likes

I don’t see why this part is a problem. He made it quite clear by painting the spots that they were not general parking. That’s a win for the people who actually need them.

13 Likes

You do recall that it rains and snows in Detroit? Paint does not survive long on curbs in places there’s a lot and varied precipitation. Detroit does not have the money to repaint curbs every two years. Hell, Ann Arbor doesn’t even have that kind of scratch.

3 Likes

Pizza store owner could afford it.

2 Likes

Thick Blue Line?

3 Likes
3 Likes

You’d hate Pasadena - the California one, not the Texas one. There a sign as you enter indicating no street parking between 2am-6am unless otherwise indicated, which is normally business districts. You’re opting in unless unless there’s an opt out sign, essentially. There are no other street signs indicating this draconian policy.
If you park anywhere else, like a residential area when you’re visiting, they will ticket you. You can purchase overnight parking permits at the fire stations - they have kiosks - or online but you have to magically know this in advance.

7 Likes