Pizzeria owner paints thick blue line on street after customers get unfair $150 parking tickets

Great system, but wouldn’t work in Minnesota, our curbs disappear for half the year! (Under snow and snirt and packed plow ice.)

3 Likes

I have to say though, Ive had several refreshing encounters with Minneapolis about signage in our transportation department. There was a wildly poorly designed intersection near my house that I called to complain about and it was fixed by the NEXT DAY! Recently there was a similar poorly designed turn lane issue near my younger daughter’s house and that also was fixed within a day of my calling to complain. Though in that case I just think my timing was good, because I’m certain thousands of people called to complain about that one.

1 Like

I liked your postage.

2 Likes

The signage should be crystal clear and easily visible…If not, there are 2 viable reasons. Ignorance on the signage creator’s part or revenue generation.
Consider the scenario where you are parking in the 4th/last spot away from the sign that says “This Side of Sign”. The minimum length of a parking spot is 18 ft, so you’d be approximately 54 ft. away from said sign. How many people are going to walk closer to check that they are legally parked?

5 Likes

Well, this guy, in this one spot, probably. He owns a small chain of pizza joints in the Metro.

3 Likes

A quick google has 232 mm of precip/year for Detroit. I’m in Leeds, on the dry side of England, and we get 840mm/year, some of it snow. If those are vaguely right, we’ve had your annual rainfall already.

The courts have found that if the paint on the road is totally buggered then it’s not enforceable, so they manage to find budget to keep the paint up to scratch.

Holy fucksocks, that’s not even a shoop! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

We count rain separately from snow, and the decade averages were just released. We get about 33" of rain and 44" of snow (works out to about 42" total precipitation). I don’t know where you found 232 mm, but that is not even close.

3 Likes

They’re definitely not fearful of that. If anything, the city will bill him for the cost of the cleanup. Someone in city hall is likely thinking about pursuing vandalism charges as well.

I’m very surprised they haven’t received a court summons for doing that.

In Chicago, I was told very specifically by the Alderman’s office that if I were to paint the curb or the apron of my driveway the customary safety yellow, that I would be breaking the law and there would be consequences.

You see, the city will very helpfully install the official ‘no parking’ signs to indicate a driveway, for the low low cost of over $100/year. They used to do it for free, as a necessary civic responsibility, but they figured out that they were more likely to squeeze money out of homeowners than scofflaws like illegal parkers.

7 Likes

I’m in Toronto where we also get rain and snow. The lines on the road are painted and are expected to be followed. We have signs on posts of course but in places where the curbs are painted (generally on private property) the remnants of paint after quite a few years of weather is still helpful in addition to the signs.

I would particularly appreciate if the City would paint the curbs next to fire hydrants. On streets with a lot of cars parked, there’s some guess work for how much space 3m from the imaginary line on the street where the hydrant is located might be. Some cars leave way too much space, using up valuable parking, and some are probably within that 3m and risk a ticket. Not to mention that homeowners love planting things around hydrants so you can’t see them well.

1 Like

I am in no position to know how inaccurate those numbers are.

1 Like

At the very least, if you’re not going to mark out individual spaces, there needs to be a sign at each end of the handicapped area, so you don’t have to be able to see the sign at the other end. I guess you could argue that it’s not unreasonable to expect someone pulling past the loading zone sign (and associated curb cut) to look ahead and see the tiny sign designating that section of road as handicapped parking. But I would disagree. What if there’s a large truck blocking that tiny sign? Around here, wherever the status of the parking situation changes, there are signs with opposing arrows showing the boundary between parking types. It couldn’t be clearer. I have never had to deal with the “this side of sign” designation, which I’m glad for, because it sucks.

5 Likes

“Getting shook-down by city hall”
reason number 4,080 to forsake the automobile.

3 Likes

Also Columbus, OH, around the Ohio State campus. On street parking is restricted on days when OSU home games are played; arguably one of the few locations where parking depends on a knowledge of the local football schedule.

2 Likes

Pizza People, what would the world be without them. A pizza-less world is not worth saving.

Many municipalities are brazen enough to make it illegal to put money in another person’s car’s parking meter. Yes, really.

2 Likes

Chicago does that too, near Soldier Field (professional football, not even on a college campus).

1 Like

You have seen the signs.
You’ve been on this road before.
Do you want to go home?
Do you want to go home now?

1 Like

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&u=https://www.lastampa.it/torino/2019/08/06/news/rivalta-il-sindaco-traccia-le-strisce-pedonali-dopo-l-investimento-a-maggio-di-una-donna-incinta-1.37305108

In Italy happened that a zebra crossing was faded and a pregnant teen was killed.
The mayor got fed up by the bureaucracy, because the road wasn’t of the town so the maintenance was in charge of the county, and painted the zebra crossing itself.

2 Likes