Plan to buy ventilators suspended because the Trump administration thinks it's a waste of money

We’ve always been at war with Covid-19?

18 Likes

25 Likes

I think for the 1%ers the genocide is a feature, not a bug.

10 Likes

“The GBU-53/B StormBreaker, previously known as the Small Diameter Bomb II…” Wikipedia

Stormbreaker?! Really? I’d love to get to name military hardware. “The Raytheon GBU-53/B Bellend.”

15 Likes

ISTR reading somewhere about a study of the efficacy of technicians that had just been trained over a week or so on one model of ventilator. They were not as good as trained nurses but pretty effective. And WAY better than nothing.

11 Likes

You know what it’s like - a billion here, a billion there, and soon you’re talking about real money!

4 Likes

Are you suggesting GM is grifting? 1 billion divided by 80000 is 12,500 per ventilator. In a related “story” - $36,000 per ventilator was “a very low price” in 2015.

42 Likes

I’m not sure whether it is a good thing that Trump has not seemed to realize just what a great position the person that controls the supply of ventilators will be in when this gets really bad. I hesitate to think what exactly he would demand in return for them when he LITERALLY has the power of life and death. Because he is at his core an amoral bully so we can assume that he would take full advantage of that.

10 Likes

There’s not enough subcontractors between vendor and buyer that can funnel some of the money to GOP re-election campaigns.

7 Likes

Bail Out Bomb
Wall Street Tank
etc. etc.

5 Likes

Obama probably bears some blame, too, for so thoroughly dismantling him at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2011.

8 Likes

They’re gonna get plenty of opportunities to practice, too.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? That’s “Plan A” at all times. Lie and then lie about lying. When called out on that second lie, lie again. Repeat forever.

This I absolutely agree with, if the price was legitimately inflated and not just a case of the Fucker in Chief practicing the art of his deal. “I know I can talk them down to a nickel apiece. I know they can’t be worth more than that.”

It’s a shame a couple billion of the $2 trillion Hail Mary wasn’t set aside for necessary medical equipment, but if it had been I’m sure it wouldn’t have come from the corporate bailout chunk.

12 Likes

My understanding is that it’s billions of dollars. Interesting that Mexico would now like one in place to keep Americans out of their country.

6 Likes

If it was Trump business they would take the Vents, then not pay for them…

5 Likes

For comparison, Trump’s golf trips have cost $133,800,000+.

16 Likes

For a “wartime President” Donnie doesn’t get that sometimes urgency outweighs cost.

“Yeah, I know you need tanks. But have you seen how much they cost? I wanna shop around, see if I can get a lower price. I’m sure you boys can hold off the Wehrmacht for a couple months while I do that, right?”

21 Likes

History will show that every decision Trump made only exacerbated the problem.

Or course, here and now, conservatives are praising his “leadership” and blaming the media and Democrats for everything.

16 Likes

Hey, GM, keep making 'em… I’m sure Canada will give you a fair price on those ventilators.

14 Likes

Is that an accurate number for the ventilators? If so, GM’s price isn’t that bad.

8 Likes