Plane panel that tore off Alaska Airlines flight found in teacher's backyard

Originally published at: Plane panel that tore off Alaska Airlines flight found in teacher's backyard - Boing Boing

3 Likes

In utter IANAAE (aeronautics engineer) gormlessness; had assumed that any non-emergency exit door was bigger on the inside, and/or larger flanged on the inside, so that when there’s a pressure difference it simply cannot be pulled away in either direction. A couple of bolts fewer and it can be removed from the outside?? Shows how little i know.

5 Likes

I’m guessing this guy lives a little further north. He’s definitely retired.

3 Likes

maybe the doors are. this was a section of the fuselage ( maybe the first time ive ever written that word ) bolted where an optional door can go. ( that’s where the door “plug” part comes in )

1 Like

The phone that survived and worked was, of course, a Nokia.

3 Likes

I don’t know how large the gentleman’s back yard is, but if it fell in my back yard, I’d be calling someone immediately!

1 Like

couldn’t be more than three feet, i’d guess… :thinking:

2 Likes

PRAISE “BOB”!

3 Likes

This is actually an emergency exit non-door. It’s a spot a door can be installed if required by the seating arrangement, but it’s not required to have one with the current arrangement, so it’s filled in with a plug. It’s supposed to require an upward movement to release from the plane, and bolts are in place to keep that from happening.

2 Likes

I was wrong, there is a good use of deep fake AI tech, and that would be to redo Donnie Darko with the titular character as Microsoft Bob and the rabbit as Clippy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.