United Airbus makes emergency landing after "open door" light flashes

Originally published at: United Airbus makes emergency landing after "open door" light flashes - Boing Boing

2 Likes

I guess that a false positive is better than no warning at all.

6 Likes

So to extrapolate, once every ~5 years, per pilot, give or take some margin of error.

In any case I’m glad it wasn’t an uncontrolled disassembly and kudos to the crew for following the safe, yet inconvenient procedure.

1 Like

I’d MUCH rather be delayed in my travels for a bad sensor throwing false alarms than one that says “everything’s fine!” even though half of one wing is on fire, the other wing has half of it missing, and there’s bits falling off the rest of the plane. /sorta silly

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve been to parties like that.

5 Likes

Yes, please, take that blinking red light seriously!!

4 Likes

Meanwhile, JetBlue has been flying with the check engine light on for the past 4 months.

7 Likes

Everyone’s doing it, time to get on the bandwagon!

1 Like

Get Out Reaction GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

1 Like

The main photo is a B737-800, not the A319 shown in the video.

[/pedantry]

4 Likes
1 Like

I recently flew from London to New York on American Airlines and as soon as we were ready to take off, the pilot flat-out told us that they were having trouble with an open door warning light being stuck on. Their solution was to call some engineers who just opened and closed it a few times until the light went off, then all the crew just acted like this was normal and fine. Didn’t fill me with confidence for the 8 hour flight ahead!

1 Like

Certainly according to Tom Wolfe in the Right Stuff and maybe it was true back then and there but I can confirm that no captain I have heard on a plane in the last many years has sounded anything at all like Chuck Yeager. At all.

3 Likes

I told you not to fly with RyanAir.

1 Like

TBF I don’t. Talking of how Me Too has failed to take out senior business people. Or is that a non sequitur? I can’t tell.

Well, those Airbus people sure are a bunch o’ wussies. Here at Boeing we don’t instruct pilots to do anything until the door actually flies off, or what we call by the industry-accepted term, “unscheduled disassembly”. (satire, right? it’s getting harder to tell)

TYjgZk

2 Likes

a-little-hot

3 Likes

I wonder whether it’s only American pilots that do that? Most pilots I hear just sound like normal humans. Not different from train drivers making announcements

2 Likes