Play the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure online

you and me both. never could get off that damn Vogon ship alive.

This game was one of the worst for requiring you to use the developerā€™s moon logic to complete it. Even if you knew the books inside and out, the correct sequence to follow to make it anywhere required mostly a ton of trial and error and no small amount of dumb luck.

I went on Gamefaqs a few years ago to see how far I made it through the game as a kid. It was depressing how early in the game I got stuck, despite many many reloads and trying every single verb in the game on every object to see if something happened.

I do remember the box came with a lot of stuff. A little plastic baggie with a microscopic alien fleet. Peril sensitive sunglasses (solid black), pocket lint, and more.

As much as I loved the Hitchhikerā€™s guide books when I was a kid, I have to admit that it wasnā€™t a good computer game.

1 Like

Leather Goddesses of Phobos played a prominent role in warping my young brainā€¦but I never finished Hitchhikers Guide.

I still have my ā€œDonā€™t Panicā€ badge.

As other folks here have mentioned, there remains a thriving community of interactive fiction creators working with both hypertext and Infocom-style text parsers. The communityā€™s best work far surpasses early, groundbreaking-but-flawed work such as HHGTTG in terms of design quality.

I would suggest people browse the IFDB for an exhaustive catalog of IF new and old, and also visit the Peopleā€™s Republic of IFā€™s recommended playlist for a short list of high-quality, web-playable parser games.

1 Like

I wrote a speech recognition version of Colossal Cave Adventure for the iPad. Itā€™s freeā€¦ enjoy!

1 Like

ā€œTake Analgesicā€
ā€¦Oh my god, this thing was a nightmare for the fifth grade version of meā€¦

1 Like

ā€œTake Analgesicā€, I remember carefully writing the spelling out in a little flip notebook as me and a few other geek buddies about that age pooled resources and sneakernetted disks amongst ourselves.
I think that notebook also had my Kobyashi Alternative notes, that game had a fault where I could never follow the uncloaking Klingon ship after months of work to the last few turns of the game to finish the game, though for the first few tries I never bothered and just tried to fight it out with phasers and photon torpedoes.
I actually sent a typed letter to the studio that did Star Trek Kobyashi Alternative and got back some badly typed space coordinates for names of what I assumed to be planets I found in clear text by dumping and reading the whole compiled code several times, that took about an hour at a go.

Yeah, I tried this a few years ago. I got fed up with constantly dying and repeating myself. Iā€™m generally too short of patience.

However, while Iā€™m here Iā€™ll plug Counterfeit Monkey, - a text adventure that I saw on RPS a year ago. You are ā€œarmed only with a device that removes letters from words, transforming the object described by the wordā€

That was the hardest game I ever played.

I remember playing this game at age 12 on the Commodore 64ā€¦ Took me forever to figure out how get on the Vogon ship. I donā€™t think I ever got past being on the Heart of Gold and the interactions with Marvin. Although I found it incredibly frustrating, the game inspired me to later read the fantastic books. Just finished rereading Life, The Universe, and Everything.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.