Playin’ Da Musicz

@danimagoo

I disagree with a lot of that. He got some technical parts wrong too, I assume to make the story fit but it gave me pause.

I agree to some extent too. But mostly it’s disagree or with heavy caveats.

I’m just going to say one thing though. I’ve seen that suggested for me on YouTube all week and thought “nope, not interested “. If every time i was on YT to follow a chord melody tutorial for a bossa nova song I was recommended a Rick Beato video about odd time signatures I would have watched that. Voted with my feet as Rick says. But that’s not what the algorithm was pushing at me. It’s finally worked because I’ve watched it now but a breakdown of the time signatures in Solisbury Hill would have been far more fun. And I do watch one of his videos regularly when I’ve sat at my desk with my work guitar at lunchtime and now it’s time to eat. I like him best when he is saying what’s great and what’s interesting. I know we can’t all be positive all the time but to make a video about what’s wrong with music and not mention corporate greed, monopolies, algorithmic fraud, outright theft, and how the CEO of Britains biggest record company earns more than all the songwriters royalties in Britain *added together * is really working hard to miss the point.

Plus: the last time I followed a tutorial from him he swore “these are the original chords on the record not dumbed down”. They were not. And I knew it pretty straight away.

ETA sorry to be grumpy about the much loved Rick Beato but it was a pretty grumpy video I was responding too.

5 Likes