Please give us a way to turn off all this new AI shit on the BBS

I’ve had fun today summarizing threads with 0-2 replies in them

6 Likes

if it helps, i’m pretty sure the dog was named was named minnie

6 Likes

Red Rover, Red Rover; send some analog over!

9 Likes

This a thread on the Boing boing BBS. It is made with the highest craftsmutantship. It concerns the coming of AI to the BBS. The thread is made of electrons caught on a silicon based medium. It menaces with spikes of sarcasm. The spikes are encrusted with memes. The memes are dank. In the thread is an image of Mickey Mouse. This commemorates the liberation of the Mouse from copyright. The mouse has scales and a forked tongue. The thread contains many references to the thread. The thread contains many images of Happy Mutants. The Happy Mutants are not happy. In the thread is an image of a basilisk. The basilisk is being walked by OhHai. This commemorates the mention of FiddlingFrog’s basilisk by the Discourse AI in 2024.

11 Likes

I wonder how much all these AI based shenanigans and bullshit are costing CDCK. I imagine it’s not cheap.

The debate continues as users wait for a toggle.

Damn, it really is learning.

7 Likes

Looking at the preliminary data I’m almost positive that there is a solution for all of this. The catch, however, is that the data does seem to imply that the solution vitally depends on Weird AI switching from the accordion to the sousaphone, and I have no idea whether this is even possible.

10 Likes

I wonder how the AI shit deals with a recursive enshittification citclejerk.

atteSmytheprovides links to other relevant threads, but accidentally links to specific posts rather than threads.

These summaries just get more and more worthless. So glad we’re setting our planet on fire for this.

so fetch gretchen wieners GIF

10 Likes

While ChatGPT can certainly assist you in generating content, it’s important to consider the context and purpose of your comments. If you’re using ChatGPT to contribute positively and constructively to online discussions, it can be a helpful tool. However, if you’re considering using it to generate spam, inappropriate content, or engage in harmful behavior, it is not recommended.

Keep in mind that using AI-generated content in certain online platforms may violate their terms of service. Additionally, relying too heavily on AI for communication can lead to misunderstandings, as AI may not fully grasp the nuances of specific conversations or communities.

Ultimately, the responsible and ethical use of AI tools is essential. If you choose to use ChatGPT to assist with writing BBS comments, be mindful of the content’s appropriateness and ensure that it aligns with the community guidelines of the platform you’re using.

5 Likes

While ChatGPT can be a helpful tool in generating comments for online forums like BBS, it is important to consider a few factors before completely relying on it. First, incorporating personal opinions and experiences can add authenticity to your comments, which may be difficult for an AI to replicate. Second, understanding the specific community and its norms is crucial in order to generate relevant and appropriate comments. Finally, while ChatGPT can assist in generating comments, it is essential to review and edit them to ensure accuracy and clarity. Overall, while ChatGPT can be a useful tool, it is important to strike a balance between automation and personal input to maintain the authenticity and quality of your comments.

4 Likes

And here I thought this is specifically what it was created for… given how good it is at exactly this…

3 Likes

Interesting - the first answer has some thoughts on spam, ethics and the possible violation of terms of service and was generally more chatty. You also used ChatGPT 3.5?

4 Likes

… no it’s some free web service

5 Likes

The horror is upon us.

6 Likes

Have you tried turning the [horror] option off?

6 Likes

Where’s the switch?

I have been ignoring all the AI stuff here up until now, but, I don’t do the BBS on mobile so the AI tab on the text highlight hasn’t been an issue for me.

3 Likes

Just in: the machine is showing some signs of defensiveness:

3 Likes

Was that a ChatGPT-generated response? Because it sure sounded like one.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Actually, if @melizmatic’s meme threads are anything to go by, the summarizer gets by OK. Subject to the usual caveats, of course.

9 Likes

Hmmm, there’s actually a thread for that. . .

5 Likes