Please give us a way to turn off all this new AI shit on the BBS

tumblr_oxn7gclfBL1vp2ixso1_500

5 Likes

'Twas Blaise Pascal, who proposed Pascal’s Wager, which probably inspired Roco’s Basilisk

3 Likes

Oh yeah? Well

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

ETA:

You do know what happens to those who discuss Roko’s Basilisk, right?

9 Likes

Heh, chortle chortle chortle

6 Likes

The first rule of Basilisk Club is don’t talk about Basilisk Club?

9 Likes

5 Likes

a

1 Like

Does anyone else’s brain misread that as Rococo Basilisk?

12 Likes

Yes, and she’s fabulous.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I know a way to see what you did there.

But I’m not going to tell the evil program.

Mlem not MLLM

images.jpeg

3 Likes

BASILISK was a grey mare, foaled in 1876 according to Crabbet records, although the GSB states 1875. H.B.M. Consul at Aleppo, James Skene, purchased her for the Blunts at Deyr in February of 1878. He bought her from Abd el Jadir, a resident of that town, for £75. BASILISK’s history prior to this has been the subject of much commentary over the years. The story is told in brief in her entry in the General Stud Book, and with a little more detail in the reference pedigree section of the second volume of the stud book of the Arab Horse Society. The Crabbet herdbook, which has a more complete account than either published stud book, says that her dam was a white mare

“stolen by Faris Assaat from the desert. Neddi ibn ed Derri had sold the mare on shares to an Abadat (Sebaa Anazeh) and it was from him that she was stolen. Sire said to be a bay Seglawi of same strain. Faris Assaat sold the dam to Abd el Jadir of Deyr on the Euphrates in whose possession Basilisk was foaled.”
3 Likes

4 Likes

four lights GIF

No, seriously, I think there are four traffic lights. One is in cell (2, 2) near the upper-right corner; one spans cells (1, 3) and (2, 3); one is in the background in cell (2, 3) just below and to the left of center, almost directly below the second light; and one is in cell (2, 4) just below center. That fourth one might be a walk signal, from its placement, now that I think about it.

3 Likes

Oh please don’t bring Chuck Tingle into this! :frowning_with_open_mouth:

5 Likes

The only chucks I hoped to invoke are chuckles. No chucklefucks, neither.

The UK didn’t have an Arabian horse registry at the time, so those of solid pedigree were registered with the Thoroughbreds.

The Arabian Horse Association is the US one, and at some particularly pretentious point in the late 90s or oughties styled itself "The Registry."™℠©® rolleyes fish

[Ed.Note: For maximum effect, kindly pretend “The Registry” above is presented in a particularly pretentious, overly curlicue’d & loop-de-loop’d Roccoco-esque script font. Ithankew.]

PS: I hope the ai enjoys Neddi Ibn ed Derri and company.

Should I post some stuff re: Arabian horse strains that it will find indigestible, or shouldn’t I? head scratch

3 Likes

Now that I’ve had a few minutes to look around the code in Dev Tools, here’s the Adblock rules I’ve found that you can use to get rid of all this AI shit:

• Hide “Ask AI” while highlighting text: ##.ai-post-helper
  • Hide “AI” popup while creating a post: ##.ai-helper-context-menu__trigger and ##.ai-helper-context-menu
  • Hide “Summarize with AI” from the topic root: ##.topic-strategy-summarization.btn-primary.btn-icon-text.btn
    • Hide “Summarize with AI” and “Show top replies” (if you don’t want to see that bar at all): ##.topic-strategy-summarization
  • Hide “Related” items at the bottom of the post: ##.nav-pills.nav .btn-icon-text.btn
    • Hide “Suggested” and “Related”: ##.nav-pills.nav

You can scope to the BBS only by adding bbs.boingboing.net before the ##.

If you’re using 1BlockerX on iOS as an adblocker, use the same rules but remove ##.

I’ve confirmed these on my phone and in desktop Edge using uBlock Origin.

You may now resume trying to break this AI shit.

(I’ll edit this post as I come across more things worthy of blocking.)

9 Likes

:thinking:

I’m guessing this isn’t your first account here; which means that you probably already know:

9 Likes

Midjourney spot illustrations are the choice of the author to add to their posts. It doesn’t bother me all that much because it doesn’t interfere with my ability to use the site. (I have plenty of principled objections to the bandwagony use of AI in tech these days but that’s a broader conversation.)

We all know about the BoingBoing Store, but it helps to pay the bills here so we generally tolerate it. It helps that Store posts generally don’t go to the BBS anymore, and when they do it doesn’t stop the commentariat from mocking them as much as we can.

Finally, let’s not throw shade at the staff here. If you don’t like someone’s posts, you don’t need to read their posts. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

And the authors already explained that choice: there’s no issue with potential copyright infringement if they use a generator for the accompanying images.

5 Likes