Plot denied to family at "whites-only" Louisiana cemetary

Even if they changed it i don’t know if i’d want a loved one being buried in a racist graveyard, but i suppose any change is a good one.

5 Likes

Maybe a statement like a lunch counter protest, but they’re staying for a lot longer. :+1:

7 Likes

“the right of burial of the remains of white human beings…”

Well, seeing as there aren’t any of those (there’s no such thing) I guess ALL burials have to stop there right now, and all those already buried there need to be disinterred and relocated to somewhere that allows ‘pink’ (?) human beings to be buried, among others.

2 Likes

Does he feel strongly enough to have sacked the one employee in question? Not holding my breath…

1 Like

I was about to say that there’s a high probability of vandalism of the grave or harassment during family visits. I’d go elsewhere, maddening though that would be, but that may not be feasible for the family.

6 Likes

Who knows, maybe their bikes are even MORE lily white than anyone else.

1 Like

Blue so long as they’re not black you mean?

1 Like

Wow. How is this even legal - much less a thing??

1 Like

So who would theoretically be the ones enforcing the bylaws if the cemetery employees ignored the racist rule and sold the plot anyway?

The rule obviously needs to be changed, but it still can’t exclude anyone unless there are racists actively working to uphold it.

7 Likes

The sales lady knew it was “whites only” right away yet the Association President had no idea?

9 Likes

My son is extremely Social Justice Warrior and steeped in Cancel Culture. No patience whatsoever to help guide someone out of the subtleties of their world view, just shame them and they’ll wake up!

Hell, I’m MtF transitioning in my 40s, and realizing how much my upbringing still affects me… personal mysogony and heteronormaty aren’t black-and-white things, I’ve found it’s a framework that you chip away at and discover new shifts in thinking throughout your life.

6 Likes

This is another problem.

10 Likes

No, it’s not legal. Yes, it’s a thing.

17 Likes

Yes. But he’s still taking responsibility, and no waffling with a “non-pology”.

How are we intending to change and progress as a country/culture if we won’t accept people actively trying to change and progress?

16 Likes

*cemetery

Changing the bad rule would be good, but they don’t have to wait until the rule is changed

They can just ignore it, like a law that has been overturned by SCOTUS

“I can’t sell you one, but …” sounds like he still doesn’t get it

8 Likes

From the photos I wouldn’t have known the deputy was Black unless somebody told me

Sounds like the kind of “community” where everybody just “knows” which side of the line you’re on

5 Likes

This was an employee, though; not the president of the association. I think we can safely assume something is being done about it.

You can’t unring a bell, but you can certainly remove the clapper.

3 Likes

Call the Unexploded Racist Bomb Squad!

8 Likes

“I even offered them that I can’t sell you one, but I can give you one of mine,” was the president

It’s better than telling them to go away again, but it’s still following the bad rule

2 Likes