Plot denied to family at "whites-only" Louisiana cemetary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/28/plot-denied-to-family-at-whites-only-louisiana-cemetary.html

9 Likes

Still assholes, even when dead.

17 Likes

I hope they like getting sued.I also hope they do get sued.

27 Likes

Well, the only good racist is a dead racist, so hopefully that place fills up right quick.

22 Likes

Where is the “Blue Lives Matter” brigade?

19 Likes

remains of white “human beings”

7 Likes

I would ask how old those bylaws are, but I fear the answer would be depressingly recent…

14 Likes

The people who denied her husband’s final resting place are very much alive. This is right here and right now.

34 Likes

Heartless brainless zombies in life and in death

2 Likes

So much this.

I used to tell little kids “don’t worry, when you are grown, all the mean people will be dead” but now I think I should have added “but all of us, and all y’all, are going to have to work hard to make the world a better place” because it sure ain’t gonna manifest automagically.

23 Likes

We bend the arc of history.

20 Likes

Hold up, people! The main issue was one particular employee, who should be let go. The association president seems to be accepting of accountability and promoting change.

The President of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery Association, Creig Vizena, outlined the clause in their by-laws, which says “the right of burial of the remains of white human beings…” It’s a cemetery contract which he says dates back to the 50′s.
“It never came up,” says Vizena. “I take full responsibility for that. I’ve been the President of this board for several years now. I take full responsibility for not reading the by-laws.”

The Semien’s say the cemetery president attempted to rectify the problem by changing the by-laws. However, they say nothing can change the fact they were initially denied based on skin color.
“I even offered them, I can’t sell you one, but I can give you one of mine,” says Vizena. “That’s how strongly I feel about fixing it!”

34 Likes

1950s, according to the article. And it looks like the President of the cemetery association is trying to change the by-laws ASAP, not having realized such a clause existed. It seems like all the actors here are trying to do the right thing.

15 Likes

"The President of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery Association, Creig Vizena, outlined the clause in their by-laws, which says “the right of burial of the remains of white human beings…” It’s a cemetery contract which he says dates back to the 50′s.

“I even offered them, I can’t sell you one, but I can give you one of mine,” says Vizena. “That’s how strongly I feel about fixing it!”

13 Likes

And are being enforced by people today.

At the end of the day, such things are literally pieces of paper. Our common humanity should be great than that. It’s not excuse for denying this family. None. Other than an excuse for ongoing racism.

But that’s my point, it’s being enforced today by an actual person.

If the association president is pushing for change, that’s great news, but my point is that saying it’s just “from the past” ignores the ongoing actual enforcement of racism in the here and now.

20 Likes

Also the salient fact that the laws regarding this type of discrimination supercede these old cemetery bylaws.

13 Likes

Sure. But laws need enforcement to work, right? If someone is flouting federal law, and no one is enforcing federal law, it’s kind of moot.

13 Likes

Absolutely – I only included the '50s thing since it had been brought up.

6 Likes

Makes sense, then. Thanks.

6 Likes

And that’s where accountability comes in. The problem may have been ignored before (because the by-laws weren’t perused by the new stewards), but it appears steps are being swiftly and actively taken to rectify the issue. Nobody deserves a medal, but at least they are admitting fault and appear to be doing everything they can to prevent this from happening again. That’s accountability.

16 Likes