Podcast host still confused about evolution after chat with author Aron Ra

This guy might not be as dumb as he comes across. He’s willfully ignoring the illustrated fallacy because he doesn’t aim to ask a valid question. His tactic appears to be, wear him down by getting him to answer the nonsense “have you ever seen an ape turn into a human being” with an eventual “no” so that he can use it as ammunition later in the interview to attack the authors credibility. He doesn’t want to discuss the validity of his question, he just wants a simple yes or no, so that he can control the narrative of the interview.

Either that, or he’s really, fantastically, unintelligent. If that’s the case then the following quote comes to mind.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

7 Likes

they’re still touring, I just saw them in 2019 and they’re still pretty awesome

2 Likes

The creationists are going to feel awful silly some millenium down the road, when we and every other animal has turned into a crab.

2 Likes

Their original “evolutionists’ nightmare” is a banana. Comfort would argue that it had to be designed because it’s so perfect for us to hold and eat. What’s hilarious about this is that it is designed for us. By us. We bred bananas to be that. They look nothing like they did before human agriculture. Same for carrots, apples, mushrooms, cucumbers, and all other common produce. It’s all bred specifically to be perfect for us.

Never mind all the other foods that are natural and quite difficult for us to hold and eat, like coconuts and pomegranates. Only bananas are holy, apparently.

10 Likes

Sapiens

13 Likes

“I wish I had. That would prove the existence of a creationist god.“

2 Likes

There is a Japanese documentary which explains that.

3 Likes

And I believe that’s the idea behind the “crocoduck” (et al.) - that a duck (or crocodile, or some other animal) suddenly produces this impossible offspring that makes no sense biologically. Which, yes, is exactly the thing creationists are arguing for, ironically pretending it’s something that shows the absurdity of their opponents’ position, when it actually is pure projection that shows the absurdity of their own. Creationists objections to the science have different manifestations, but boil down to: “Evolution must be wrong because it doesn’t support our provably nonsensical worldview.”

Yeah, there’s almost nothing you could buy in a supermarket that hasn’t been bred to unrecognizability by humans, making any such argument absurd. (And you could make that same argument, falsely, about other fruits/vegetables - “Look how nutritious and convenient this is!”)

Their response to being called out was, “It was a joke!” Which is true of pretty much all their “arguments” - jokes that are disingenuous and built on ignorance, because they’re not trying to convince anyone so much as make the ignorant feel smug in their ignorance and not think about it.

5 Likes

I think a hypothetical ‘God’ created everything, intending to watch what happened, then realised she was getting far too bored waiting and buggered off to do something more interesting.

3 Likes

Professor Feynman probably would blow his head…

4 Likes

Years ago, I used to argue with a lot of YECs online. And without exception, every last one of them I personally dealt with was astonishingly stupid.

They had no imagination and no sense of humor (or a very basic, almost childish, but typically very mean-spirited one), and were ploddingly literal-minded. They didn’t get nuance or metaphor, and you had to laboriously spell everything out to them, or they’d misunderstand or just ignore it. (The guy Aron Ra argued with is an unusually blatant example of this.) It was like they had bricks for brains.

And you could never, ever get them to change their mind. Sometimes, if you were lucky, you might get one to admit that some particular “argument” against evolution they were using was bullshit… and then they’d be back a week or a month later, using that exact same argument as if nothing had happened.

4 Likes

Wrong! Trees are made of water.

6 Likes

The human body is one of the strongest arguments against creationism or at the very least, worship of the creator if there was one. This is the best the supposed creator could do? I’m supposed to worship something this incompetent? Bah. Shoddy design, terrible component assembly, and poor quality control. This isn’t even worth considering as an Alpha release. Do better.

9 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

This is going to offend some parents and grandparents, but hear me out. Some babies are born with ancestral characteristics. Being very hairy is a classic one, but there are also tales of tails and other rare situations. In the case of the hirsute babes, the hair is usually shed in the early days of life. So, with this in mind, YES, I have seen an ape become a human.

3 Likes

Running a toxic waste pipeline through a recreation area!?! That’s dumb even for a civil engineer.

8 Likes

My mantra always. I’ve done it a bunch of times! :grin:

7 Likes

Creationists often use the human eye as an argument, because something so complex couldn’t have possibly evolved. Leaving aside that we actually know exactly how it evolved, including all the simpler structures that were repurposed along the way, the human eye doesn’t make their point. It’s amazing if you don’t compare it to anything else, but within the animal kingdom and compared to what biology is capable of, our eyes are pretty terrible. Limited focal range, poor night vision, limited dynamic range, wear out quickly, frequently the wrong shape to focus properly, only detect a tiny slice of the EM spectrum, overly sensitive to some colours over others, etc, etc. If the human eye is a divine creation, why does it suck do much?

10 Likes

My own eyes are kind of bad, but don’t get me started on my failing thyroid, expired pancreas, or the bad mixture of chemicals in my brain that require aftermarket additives to keep it from trying to shut down the entire mechanism. I actually wish there was some sort of creator so I could attempt to strangle it for the things it did to the bodies of my partners. That whole garbage story blaming the failings of the human body on Eve just make me want to punch someone/thing.

10 Likes

No! Air!

3 Likes