Tucker Carlson humiliates himself by denying evolution on Joe Rogan podcast

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/22/tucker-carlson-humiliates-himself-by-denying-evolution-on-joe-rogan-podcast.html

8 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

18 Likes

I mean, we clearly didn’t evolve from amoebae. They’re a modern bacterium eukaryote, (thanks @mallyboon), we co-evolved. They’re our cousins, not our grandparents. /s

20 Likes

Even Rogan, who loves sharing moronic on his podcast balked, sputtering bewildered protests.

“I thought you were just a fascist, not a Young Earth Christo-fascist!!” says man who Just Likes to Ask Questions.

To be clear, this is not about the frozen food heir’s lack of curiousity, solopsism, or ignorance. Having lost his more general Faux News right-wing audience, he’s now trying to focus in on Xtianists as potential followers. Rogan was caught off-guard but as usual he didn’t hesitate to ask his callow audience to consider the views of a known far-right extremist in the first place.

28 Likes

FTFY - amoebae are a lot of things, but bacteria they are not.

18 Likes

Asked for comment, evolution said “Tucker? Thats the kind of fake name a bad script writer gives to an 80s villain who wants to tear down the rec center…I don’t believe he really exists.”

21 Likes

Wow, not just denial, but the old “it’s only a theory!” kind. That’s kindergarten-level evolution denialism that even some anti-evolution people must have been embarrassed by. Did Tucker only hear about evolution for the first time last week?

16 Likes

I call shenanigans on the headline.

I think the historical evidence is pretty clear that Tucker Carlson is incapable of feeling humiliation, shame, remorse, etc.

24 Likes

At least it’s nominally less stupid than “if we evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys”. I honestly expected him to go with that when I saw the headline.

11 Likes

Tucker Carlson humiliates himself by appearing on the Joe Rogan podcast. And when Joe Rogen looks like the sane reasonable person in the 2-minute clip, doubly so.

It was already pointed out that Tucker Carlson is a man who feels no shame, so he’s not going to be bothered with this one.

Is it worth pointing out that evolution wasn’t a one and done thing and that you can still find evidence all throughout the fossil record even though there is no complete fossil record? Well, evolution is a series of random mutations, that can be observed happening regularly, selected by the environment over a long period of time. But if Tucker wants to go with a god of the gaps-type argument, it’s at least on brand for that asshat.

12 Likes

Yeah, this is just “Tucker” more explicitly connecting himself with… his existing audience. It’s part of American politics of the last 60 years - the educated plutocrats sucking up to the Xtianists, doing the awkward dance where they try to decide how close they’re willing to get to pretending the Earth is only a few thousand years old.

Which the Republican party routinely engages in - just in the last year state reps (e.g. in Montana) continue the tradition of trying to pass laws banning the teaching of scientific “theories.” Tucker is just promoting the party line.

10 Likes

When I first learned about evolution I had an Archimedes-style “Eureka” moment.

It just makes logical sense, the pieces all fit together.

I’ve had the debate with some religious friends of mine, and I always hear the same arguments against it, and the arguments all reek of “I choose not to believe. I prefer to trust the writings of ancient desert dwelling goat herders, thanks.” Pointing out the flaws in their arguments gets you nowhere.

15 Likes

What does he think he means when he says there is “zero evidence”? There is clearly a substantial body of evidence.

Evidence of adaptation in the fossil record is evidence that supports evolution because evolution is based on species developing through adaptation to environmental conditions.

To say you find the evidence unconvincing is quite stupid, to say there is zero evidence is mind-bogglingly stupid.

9 Likes

He’s lying. He’s Tucker Carlson, that’s what he does.

24 Likes

He’s looking for the God of the gaps.

14 Likes

I have to admit that the very existence of Carlson et al. rather makes me question the idea of ‘progress’.

4 Likes

The existence of Tucker Carlson put serious meat on the Theory of Devolution.

5 Likes

Yeah, did you watch the video? At the very end Tucker used the term “childless” twice in an insulting tone to disparage others. “We’re letting childless people effect our children’s education,” or something like that.
What a fucking asshole. On top of being a moron.
One thing I learned from this video is that to a certain crowd, using the term “adaptation” is a work-around for ignoring evolution at all.
Looks like Tuck needs to check out Khan Academy to review his terminology.

13 Likes

Gravity is a woke ideology too, not referenced in the bible and undiscovered for most of recorded history. Tucker should stand up for traditional conservative thought and own the libs by jumping off a cliff.

ETA: This is Tucker, being Trumpian. Blatant dishonesty in order to get experts attacking him, generating media buzz and engaging/enlisting the uninformed. Evolution is a prime target because it draws support from some with misguided religious fervor.

14 Likes

Exactly. It is literally the simplest explanation for what we can see with our own eyes. It is brilliant and its simplicity is scientific beauty of the highest kind.

7 Likes